Author Topic: Wednesday, 16th May, 2012: Seeing Is Believing (Or Is It?)  (Read 18761 times)

graham d

• View Profile
Re: Wednesday, 16th May, 2012: Seeing Is Believing (Or Is It?)
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2014, 06:06:18 pm »
SDSS is at the limit of its resolution here. The second galaxy is ringed without a spiral pattern I think. The first and third images may have some overlap features present rather than spirals. The fourth image is clearly spiral and there may be a bar(?).

Scientists can become very upset about any threat , intentional or not, about censorship even when it originates from a fellow scientist. Jean's comment is reallly a question and is rhetorical. Of course she is not paranoid; at least not more so than the average forum participant, and is never abusive. I've met a few famous scientists who truly were paranoid, part of the time at least. I knew one who when he got really really upset would throw himself on the floor and bite the carpet. Actually, I only saw him do it once but others attested to a few incidents that would be regarded as bizarre by non scientists. Paul Frampton is just about due for release this month?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/magazine/the-professor-the-bikini-model-and-the-suitcase-full-of-trouble.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:14:52 pm by graham d »

mlpeck

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:41 pm »
Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but just in case the plug gets pulled on Letters*, I'd like to post - here - a Letter I wrote on these giant, distant spirals. That way if, some day, a preprint appears in arXiv, on giant, distant spirals, there'll be a public record of my previous work on this topic.

Jean:

Why not get a free Authorea account and learn some LaTeX if you have ideas that you want to get into pixels? Their platform appears to be technically superior to Letters and there's little worry that it will go away anytime soon.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2014, 01:34:45 am »
Thanks Hanny, graham d, mlpeck.  :)

All fair enough and all that; people have started their more or less private posts (related to, of course) on here before, but - even though this might make things worse - do you know how easy it is for me or any of the other mods and admins to make this post or topic go away? I mean, I'm not going to, but, if you're being paranoid: why not start your own blog with this? Just saying. ;)

Even if, somehow, the entire Galaxy Zoo forum were to be taken down, what's here - in this thread at least - would be preserved in the Wayback Machine. If Letters - where my 'paper' was originally published - were to vanish, there'd be no trace of it in the Wayback Machine, because Letters is not, currently, public.

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but just in case the plug gets pulled on Letters*, I'd like to post - here - a Letter I wrote on these giant, distant spirals. That way if, some day, a preprint appears in arXiv, on giant, distant spirals, there'll be a public record of my previous work on this topic.

Jean:

Why not get a free Authorea account and learn some LaTeX if you have ideas that you want to get into pixels? Their platform appears to be technically superior to Letters and there's little worry that it will go away anytime soon.

That's good advice. I've actually been thinking about doing that for some time ...  ;)