Author Topic: Zooniverse Project Workshop 2012 - notes  (Read 7430 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Zooniverse Project Workshop 2012 - notes
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 06:31:25 pm »
Sounds like you had a great time Jules and thanks for the report.

Did they mention how they were going to fix the "Talk" forum?
I don't - I hope! - normally get this fussed, but I think the Talk forum was one of the worst things the Zooinverse has ever done.

Does anyone reading this know of anyone who felt Talk is cool?

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »
It was admitted that Talk needs a lot of work - which it is about to get - but it's here to stay for all new projects. There are some things about it that I like! :o :o It is easy to leave comments and once you get used to it fairly easy to find stuff again - but it's far from perfect. However, 40% of Planet Hunters use Talk compared to a tiny few percent of Galaxy Zoo / Moon Zoo etc users. It isn't working for all projects though - and the team acknowledged this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:55:23 pm by jules »

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:33 pm »
However, 40% of Planet Hunters use Talk compared to a tiny few percent of Galaxy Zoo / Moon Zoo etc users. It isn't working for all projects though - and the team acknowledged this.
What's the percentage of one post threads ('people saying : ooh look at this' without any follow-up or response whatsoever)?
I once took a quick look and I got to (at least) 60% of 'one post threads'. It's just very easy to post a comment. It's a whole different thing to have a real conversation on 'Talk'
(but that is just me I suppose  ;))

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 07:58:54 pm »
A year ago I was ribbed for loathing Talk. This has not changed - but then I haven't had much time to try it again :D :D

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
Sounds like you had a great time Jules and thanks for the report.

Did they mention how they were going to fix the "Talk" forum?
I don't - I hope! - normally get this fussed, but I think the Talk forum was one of the worst things the Zooinverse has ever done.

Does anyone reading this know of anyone who felt Talk is cool?
.........Got to agree with you Jean not one of the better things the Zooinverse has done.

It was admitted that Talk needs a lot of work - which it is about to get - but it's here to stay for all new projects. There are some things about it that I like! :o :o It is easy to leave comments and once you get used to it fairly easy to find stuff again - but it's far from perfect. However, 40% of Planet Hunters use Talk compared to a tiny few percent of Galaxy Zoo / Moon Zoo etc users. It isn't working for all projects though - and the team acknowledged this.
  :( Oh dear I was afraid of this.

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »
Look on the bright side - it can only get better!
(My glass is always half full!!) ;D

mitch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 01:53:14 am »
Really enjoyed reading the notes, Jules - It's nice to get some feedback and ideas from the different projects - thanks
(I must admit that Talk on Planet Hunters is really aggravating sometimes - sometimes only one comment leaves everything in limbo ::) ::))
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:57:54 am by mitch »

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 06:53:29 am »
Maybe we should start a separate thread to talk about "Talk", what's wrong with it and can it be fixed?
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:18 am »
Maybe we should start a separate thread to talk about "Talk", what's wrong with it and can it be fixed?
Good idea!  ;D

Let's do that ... oh wait, I just did  ;) A thread to talk about Talk

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
And finally.... last zoocon1 blog about my session to tell the public about Citizen Science.

I wanted to provide notes and blogs in enough detail to let people know what it was like and what was discussed. I hope I've done that. The Zooniverse is clearly a big player in the growing Citizen Science phenomenon and I was thrilled to be part of the first zoocon.

And these notes and blogs are especially for Alice who should have been there but who ended up spending the time revising instead.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:14:34 pm by jules »

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 11:55:19 am »
Thanks for the blog posting Jules.  Hopefully we'll get some more interest in Moon Zoo from this!
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »
 :-* :-* Thank you so much Jules. I'll be reading them more when my exam tonight is over! (must get back to revising now)