Author Topic: A thread to talk about Talk  (Read 43099 times)

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
Re: A thread to talk about Talk
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 10:17:47 pm »
If they wanted a forum, why couldn't they create a simple machine forum like here?
If hash-tags are the only way to find something, why not automatically generate a hash-tag that is the ID of the object?
Why was the new interface introduced without having some of us oldbees testing it for bugs? Have we ever refused to do this when asked?
Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »
How about if we ask the Zookeepers to let us start a BIG thread like Hubble Zoo here and see if the newbies can find us here.  As "Talk" is right now it's not going to work.

Good idea, but why don't you start a pseudo-thread somewhere in the Forum and add to it - Call the main thread Zooniverse, with sub threads-underneath, called (1) Galaxy Zoo, (2) Exoplanets, etc and then only allow the moderators to create sub-sub-threads beneath - you have to start somewhere.
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 10:22:33 pm »
If they wanted a forum, why couldn't they create a simple machine forum like here?
If hash-tags are the only way to find something, why not automatically generate a hash-tag that is the ID of the object?
Why was the new interface introduced without having some of us oldbees testing it for bugs? Have we ever refused to do this when asked?

Good idea - have any of the new projects been beta tested?

Lovethetropics

• I hunt Irregular galaxies And Hyper-Velocity Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »

Good idea - have any of the new projects been beta tested?

Yes, I was one of the beta testers but it never occurred to me to go to "Talk"

*and find lots of asteroids  ;D

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »
How about if we ask the Zookeepers to let us start a BIG thread like Hubble Zoo here and see if the newbies can find us here.  As "Talk" is right now it's not going to work.

Good idea, but why don't you start a pseudo-thread somewhere in the Forum and add to it - Call the main thread Zooniverse, with sub threads-underneath, called (1) Galaxy Zoo, (2) Exoplanets, etc and then only allow the moderators to create sub-sub-threads beneath - you have to start somewhere.

Not a bad idea but I would prefer to have the blessings of at least one Zookeeper, after all this Forum is theirs, we are only guests...we don't need to aggravate them, they have not started a thread so maybe a)they don't want one or b)they don't know how bad "talk" really is

garrett_cw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
And I was a beta tester for the sea floor project. However, it was long enough ago I really don't remember much about it.  ::)
Nor was I given feedback and asked to retest the adjusted version.

Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »
And I was a beta tester for the sea floor project. However, it was long enough ago I really don't remember much about it.  ::)
Nor was I given feedback and asked to retest the adjusted version.

As a Software Tester, I test, find errors, it goes back to the Developers, comes back to me, I re-test, find errors, goes back to the Developers, comes back to me, etc., until I am happy with it.

garrett_cw

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »
Not a bad idea but I would prefer to have the blessings of at least one Zookeeper, after all this Forum is theirs, we are only guests...we don't need to aggravate them, they have not started a thread so maybe a)they don't want one or b)they don't know how bad "talk" really is

:o
When you have volunteers doing work for you, you should make it as easy as possible for them to do what you want, with as little confusion as possible on their part. You should be ready and willing to listen to and answer/fix their problems, and thereby encourage and remove roadblocks from their efforts to do the work for you. 
Curtis

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 10:47:49 pm »

Why don't you PM Zookeeper Chris, like I did last weekend?

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
I am closer to Kevin, so I will ask him  ;D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 07:43:26 am »

I believe you mean a special 'board' for these, like 'merger zoo' and 'supernova zoo' under 'the site and the science'? This is what I meant earlier as well.. :)

John, mods can't make these, but I'll ask for them.. ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:47:56 am by Hanny »

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 07:46:35 am »

This is a very good idea. Ever since I learned about the ref. no. as a newbe, I've always searched the forum using that number, when I found an interesting/nice picture :)

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:33 am »
I understand one reason to introduce Talk - which is that only a very small fraction of participants ever post on the Forum (or, as far as we can tell, read it). Talk gives a mechanism that is easier and more transparent to capture comments from such users. OTOH, how to search the Talk contents without a hashtag is something I've been in touch with development team members about.

Search box at Talk:
http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/search

Talk Tutorial:
Search.

You can input multiple words into the search separated by a space, for example "cat dog". This will return all posts with the word "cat" AND the word "dog". At this time it is not possible to search for "cat OR dog", it is also useful to know that "cat" will NOT return results for "cats".

It is however possible to search by keywords, simply add "keywords:" in front of any word. For example "keywords:cat" will return comments that have been tagged with #cat. It is possible to search for multiple keywords, for example "keywords:cat dog moon" will return any comments that have been tagged with #cat AND #dog AND #moon, but once again it will not detect comments that have been tagged with #cats, #dogs or #moons.

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/tutorial

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 12:24:17 pm »
I understand one reason to introduce Talk - which is that only a very small fraction of participants ever post on the Forum (or, as far as we can tell, read it). Talk gives a mechanism that is easier and more transparent to capture comments from such users. OTOH, how to search the Talk contents without a hashtag is something I've been in touch with development team members about.

Search box at Talk:
http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/search

Talk Tutorial:
Search.

You can input multiple words into the search separated by a space, for example "cat dog". This will return all posts with the word "cat" AND the word "dog". At this time it is not possible to search for "cat OR dog", it is also useful to know that "cat" will NOT return results for "cats".

It is however possible to search by keywords, simply add "keywords:" in front of any word. For example "keywords:cat" will return comments that have been tagged with #cat. It is possible to search for multiple keywords, for example "keywords:cat dog moon" will return any comments that have been tagged with #cat AND #dog AND #moon, but once again it will not detect comments that have been tagged with #cats, #dogs or #moons.

http://talk.galaxyzoo.org/tutorial

Zutopian, that's exactly why older zooites will not be able to help the newbies and newbies will not find each other...isn't it easier to find answers on "Newbies post your questions here" rather than thousands of posts asking "What is this? 
As far as I know Hanny's question may well had been buried and we would not have  Hanny or the Voorperp.
Kevin and Chris have not answered ny messages yet, let' give them a little more time and do the new thread with at least their acknowledgment.

Lovethetropics

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:36 pm »
Ok Kevin and Chris answered, we have to wait for 2 days and Chris will post something here, seems they have a plan.
Meanwhile let's try to answer as many "What is this" on "Talk"