Author Topic: A Note On The RFC  (Read 4047 times)

GStark

• View Profile
A Note On The RFC
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:03:39 am »
Howdy,

I just posted a request for comments on a new index intended for Zooites.

Classifiers have a hard time remembering if Voids (for example) are in Stunning Sights or Weird & Wonderful and search is daunting due to the copious commentary that is posted leading to many spurious hits.

I intend for this to be prominent in both fora.

I hope this tool helps these lists grow.

Oh, This note is separated from the index because I broke the 20K char limit when including it!!

Thanks for any comments,

GStark

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: A Note On The RFC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:44:06 am »
I think the RFC is awesome!  8)

Even though I've been here a long time, and spend a lot of time all over the forum (well, maybe not all over  ;)), I still trip up over whether a thread I'm looking for is in WW or SS, especially if it's not stickied (and so may not be on the first page).

Several people - not least our indefatigable moderator Alice - have tried to tame the raging beast bring some order into the wild proliferation of fascinating threads, but I think RFC is the best I've seen.

Well done, and many thanks.  ;D

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:37 am »
A great job! Hopefully the index will be locked and sticky'ed to prevent it falling off the page.
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:11:52 pm »
I have a couple of minor modifications to suggest and it shall certainly go up into the Welcome board. In fact I have a few ideas as to how to get people straight to it from the galaxy classification page if the zookeepers can and will do that . . . ;D

More when I've done my exam! I want to be able to give this proper attention. I'm really impressed.

GStark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:04 pm »
Thanks for the kind remarks!

FYI, in the old days... before the Web, UseNet was how we discussed things on the Internet - in newsgroups. The standard when one wanted to start a newsgroup or propose something new etc. was to post an RFC (Request For Comments) which introduced the topic and invited discussion. In fact Tim Berners-Lee issued an RFC in 1991 to propose a new service (the seventh such) for the Internet which he called World Wide Web!

Anyway that's the sort of RFC I was referring to in the Classifier's Guide post.

Once Alice survives her exams we'll move forward but until then the door is open for suggestions or ideas.

Thanks again!

GStark

I think the RFC is awesome!  8)

Even though I've been here a long time, and spend a lot of time all over the forum (well, maybe not all over  ;)), I still trip up over whether a thread I'm looking for is in WW or SS, especially if it's not stickied (and so may not be on the first page).

Several people - not least our indefatigable moderator Alice - have tried to tame the raging beast bring some order into the wild proliferation of fascinating threads, but I think RFC is the best I've seen.

Well done, and many thanks.  ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:28:47 pm »
Thank you all so much for seeming happy to wait for me!

I would attend to it now, but I have got through a substantial quantity of desperately needed red wine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (so if there was ever a time to pick on me, it would be now - wait, I didn't say that :o)

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »
oh ok. got it now.  i just gotta find it and include it (the index) in mine! (not copying stuff)

GStark

• View Profile
Re: Classifier's Guide
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 03:37:34 am »
The version here in Suggestions & Comments is current.

I tried every link (I think) checking WW/SS and accuracy - corrections were made lol.

Cheers!

GStark

I hope you are recovered!
Thank you all so much for seeming happy to wait for me!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:55:51 pm by GStark »

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 08:36:47 am »
An excellent RFC; lock and sticky it.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:50:59 am »
As you know, I love it. I made it Object of the Day to encourage more suggestions.

Mine include:
- as Liz said, can we have something Hubble Zoo specific?
- We need to differentiate between past and present projects. We're not still actively searching for Hanny's Voorwerp, for example - Chris went through the entire database and nothing else has exactly the same colour (colour meaning wavelengths). That's not to say "post anything you think is a Voorwerp here" is not a good thing to do. The Peas project is officially over for the moment too, though of course possible peas are always welcome and could be used in future projects. But I don't want people to feel misled - thinking they've got something new and then "Oh, what the papers are already written up?!"

That's my tuppence worth for the moment. Sorry for not saying this a week and a half ago - real life intervened in a big way! I'm also saying this in public so that anyone can disagree with me.

Again, thank you for your incredible effort GStark. It must have taken a LONG time, and I hope to get it up on the Welcome board very soon :)

GStark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:23:31 pm »
I'm glad it works for everybody.

I would like to see it stickied in both Weird & Wonderful and Stunning Sights.

The reason I did it was so I could spend less time looking for the appropriate topic to post a great galaxy into and more time finding great galaxies.
Also, I think that if a tool like this is at the top of both forums, more galaxies will get added to more obscure collections, like Dim & Dark for example,
which should be a big help to those looking at such things.

As for the HZ and project links, could you post a list of what you'd like?

I'm happy to effect the changes - and then it will be done!! :D

As you know, I love it. I made it Object of the Day to encourage more suggestions.

Mine include:
- We need to differentiate between past and present projects. We're not still actively searching for Hanny's Voorwerp, for example - Chris went through the entire database and nothing else has exactly the same colour (colour meaning wavelengths). That's not to say "post anything you think is a Voorwerp here" is not a good thing to do. The Peas project is officially over for the moment too, though of course possible peas are always welcome and could be used in future projects. But I don't want people to feel misled - thinking they've got something new and then "Oh, what the papers are already written up?!"

That's my tuppence worth for the moment. Sorry for not saying this a week and a half ago - real life intervened in a big way! I'm also saying this in public so that anyone can disagree with me.

Again, thank you for your incredible effort GStark. It must have taken a LONG time, and I hope to get it up on the Welcome board very soon :)

GStark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »
Ok, I added a link to the Hubble Zoo and redid the projects section.

See the updated Classifier's Guide in this forum.

Mine include:
- We need to differentiate between past and present projects.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »
OK, looks like this is all ready to go (probably has been for some time, apologies for being useless). So if you have any more comments, please make them now! :)

I'd like to put it in the Welcome board, because Stunning Sights and Weird & Wonderful already have enough stickies. But if several people disagree, I'll do what GStark asks, which is make it a sticky in both W&W and SS. Thoughts?

GStark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 12:54:18 am »
Welcome is fine.

Just a couple of related thoughts:

1) Since the table code pushes the post close to the max size limit, past projects is sure to go away - hopefully for more current ones.

2) Really, my only intent was to try to give classifiers an easy way to help folks who are looking for specific types of objects.

It took me some months to figure out the general layout of the useful forums even tho I was posting prolifically.

The stickied collections shift around so much (because there are so many of them) that its easy to miss or misplace one.

There ought to be a way to lock the reference threads (like Newbies - Look at this!) at the top of the list.

Whatever... if it's in the Welcome area then we can link to it from the Newbies posts, Oddballs, etc.

Also we should (IMHO) un-sticky Peas, Voorwerps, Faces, Palette, and Alphabet and let the general index do the job.

Really, a good index at the top on the list, a newbie thread or two, and Oddballs & Newbie Posts are all that is needed in the stickies.

If the Index is kept up to date then it will be used and the useful topics will float naturally.

Just my nickle's worth, do as you like.

GStark
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:12:25 am by GStark »