Author Topic: Wednesday, 13th June, 2012: Wispy Stuff, Not Galaxies?  (Read 4054 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Wednesday, 13th June, 2012: Wispy Stuff, Not Galaxies?
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:17:15 am »
I've prepared this in advance, as I'll likely be off-line on the day, until quite late (though it should still be Wednesday, somewhere in the world, Hawai'i perhaps?) I'm on the road and have uncertain internet access.

Today's OOTD is about wispy stuff in SDSS, stuff that is quite real (not artifacts), but not a galaxy, part of a galaxy (other than our own), or even stuff that used to be part of a galaxy but is now sailing through space, alone (i.e. 'tidal tails'[1]). It's also not about planetary nebulae [2], or even galactic supernovae remnants [3] or cataloged emission nebulae [4] or reflection nebulae [5].

The image above - SDSS J224310.02+002343.9, ObjId 8658200273233379393 is its Stripe 82 name - is an example of what I mean. Or not. I came across this by accident, and posted it to the excellent Strange astronomical things... thread. At first I thought it was an artifact, but it's real, and apparently a strange irregular galaxy, with the highly memorable name of APMUKS(BJ) B224036.36+000759.3 ... or not; maybe it's an uncataloged reflection nebula?

That's M81 and Arp's Loop, from Budgieye's OOTD Arp's Loop and M81 tidal stream of stars (it's a Hubble image, see that OOTD for the image credits). This would be an excellent piece of wispy stuff to include in this OOTD, except that it's already been posted, cataloged, and studied.

From another wonderful Weird and wonderful thread started by AlexandredOr, Objects that do not exist ! , this was posted by jpodkow. But, while it doesn't exist (so far as SDSS is concerned), it is a galaxy (clearly!), so I won't include it in today's OOTD.

SDSS J233738.08+034333.5 (DR8 ObjId 1237679003950580033), posted by Bruno ... that's what I'm talking about!  ;D Except, perhaps, that it's likely to be an irregular galaxy  :( ... so I won't include it in today's OOTD either.

Well, this OOTD is completely empty so far; everything I've found that might be posted here turns out to be unsuitable (so I haven't posted it).  :'(

I posted that, and paulrogers did some enhancing; apparently this is real. Has it been cataloged? I have no idea. But at last I found something to post in this OOTD  8)  ;)  ;D

I'm saving the best for last ...

SDSS J104712.84+631630.9 (DR7 ObjId 587725474420097310), posted by lizardly just the other day, in the Comets thread.

[1] There are some spectacular examples of soon-to-be-orphaned galactic stuff in the Mergers or flybys with incredibly long tails thread

[2] See waveney's OOTD Planetary Nebulae for some examples  :P

[3] A particularly wonderful example of this sort of stuff is in Mukund Vedapudi's OOTD, Recipe of the Day, Alexandre cooks some Spaghetti

[4] Such as NGC 6820, featured in elizabeth's OOTD Nebulas

[5] LizPeter's OOTD Reflection nebula contains a good example

AlexandredOr

• View Profile
Re: Wednesday, 13th June, 2012: Wispy Stuff, Not Galaxies?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:09:53 am »
Wowwww ! What a pleasant OotD !!
Thx Jean  :D :D :D

Baby star opening its eyes on the Universe.

Mukund Vedapudi

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:59:00 am »
Lovely, thanks. :) :)
Faith is the bird singing when the dawn is yet dark.

Budgieye

• View Profile

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:22 pm »
"but are you wanting something more filamentous?"

Yeah, wispy stuff that's not a galaxy.

LSBs are, for the most part, "just" irregulars or low surface brightness spirals or dwarfs of one kind or another.

Voorwerpjes would also fit the bill, but I very much doubt that there are any left to find (wispy ones that is, well away from the main body of the galaxy), except perhaps in DR8.

"Tidal debris" would be good too, if it appeared truly detached.

That image posted by patshot looks just the sort of thing ...

But mainly this OOTD was fun to write  ;)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:49 pm »
I found another example ... except that I'm not 100% sure it's real (I've already posted it in the Oddballs thread):

It could be an LSB (low surface brightness galaxy), but I've never seen a red LSB; if it's red because it's distant (z ~>0.4, say), then it must be enormousenormous  :o  It may be an artifact (though there doesn't seem to be anything nearby that might have created it), or an uncatalogued reflection nebula, or ...

PeterD

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »
A great OoTD, got me thinking about some stuff I've got in the vaults -somewhere!

I can barely make that out at all. I would have dismissed it as an odd frame. Is there an enhanced version anywhere?

PeterD

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »
OK, followed the link. Still can't make it out in the image above :(, but I do get what you mean now.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »
Here are a couple of attempts to make the fluff more visible. I copied a couple of DR7 images, as JPEGs, fired up GIMP, changes the Levels (raised black to 2, dropped white to something like 100, upped gamma; slightly different for each image), and then added a Gaussian blur (radius 2 for the smaller image, 4 for the larger). Whatever it is it's certainly there ... but is it merely an artifact? and is it really red?

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 12:00:43 pm »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. Sorry, but it took me more than 120 days to find another one! :P :)

Here it is.:

http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr9/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237678860075925513

Any ideas?
PS: I posted it also in "Nebulea Collection" today, but I don't know, if it is right.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:12:13 pm by zutopian »

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 04:38:31 am »
I think it's a very good example, zutopian!  ;D

What is it? I don't know.

My first guess would be a reflection nebula.

As far as I know, no one (zooite) has attempted to collect, categorize, and study these; at least, not here in the GZ forum. It would make a good, interesting project; would you be interested?

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:57 am »

As far as I know, no one (zooite) has attempted to collect, categorize, and study these; at least, not here in the GZ forum. It would make a good, interesting project; would you be interested?

Thank you for your comment!
Yes, I am interested in such a project, though I actually don't know, what else I can contribute? Well, I will send you a PM in order to do further discussion on that project.

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 02:29:02 pm »

Thank you for your comment!
Yes, I am interested in such a project, though I actually don't know, what else I can contribute? Well, I will send you a PM in order to do further discussion on that project.

I just have received a PM by another zooite, who says, that it is just a camera glare from another star!:
http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr9/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237678920735195209
Besides Liz&Peter did following post:

http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr9/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237678860075925513
Hi Zutopian, this looks like an artifact to us, it lines up with the edge of the photographic field, all the best Liz and Peter.

I found something else interesting.:
When zooming in, there seems to be a lot of dust. Looks similiar to the 5th image in the OOTD.:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:51:40 pm by zutopian »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:58:51 am by zutopian »