Author Topic: SN 1006  (Read 1990 times)

robert gagliano

• View Profile
SN 1006
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:14 pm »
Don't know if there are any superzooites lurking out there in cyberspace who still bother to check this website but I'm posting this very interesting article anyway.....
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120927091538.htm
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:02:16 am by robert gagliano »

Blackprojects

• View Profile
Re: SN 1006
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:25 pm »
I Still Pass by and read every thing on SNs i can but am Sulking over Lack of real SNs todo! The rest have probably gone off to other stuff!

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:35 am »
So if no star remnant or companion is found in the centre, the supernova is probably the collision of two (orbiting?) white dwarfs.

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:04 am »
Yes,
According to Ruiz-Lapuente, "This new result, together with others previous, suggests that the merger of white dwarfs could be a common pathway that leads to these violent thermonuclear explosions."

"We have conducted an exhaustive exploration of the area around where the explosion of the supernova of 1006 occurred and have found nothing, which invites us to think that this event was probably the result of a collision and merger of two white dwarf stars of similar mass."

Infact we covered these points two years ago  http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=279444.msg559895#msg559895  and in Mitch's mystery star thread.

Perhaps a third of all stars are in binaries. We then address the probability that the companion is of similar mass. It needs to be of similar mass inorder that their individual evoltionary histories are almost identical and lead to white dwarf binaries . Otherwise early on one star will scavenge material from the other. The major final problem is how to merge these rapidly spinning objects. In the white dwarf thread I posted several images of what might be white dwarf binaries, images with two cores and a butterfly effect which as far as I know could well be artifacts. Anyway, the interest generated then I rate at -1; which may now have progressed to zero. :)
PS since my bad knee keeps me almost house bound and away from my plot of land-

Nevertheless, how do you merge them? They will spin down and that angular momentum is transferred to orbital angular momentum. Off the top of my head most white dwarfs are much less than solar mass, but say greater than 0.6 fraction. You want a combined mass approaching the Chandrasekhar limit at~1.4 solar. We have two old stars approaching the Roche limit whose separation distance approaches 1.35 fold the white dwarf radii, they are of equivalent densities. Their atmospheres were long stripped off. Infact, neutron stars would do just as well. Their orbital velocities are relativistic. Forget the tidal effects. They each almost represent a mass of neutronium, a single state; a bad analogy is that of a giant molecule or atom. They annihilate in a grandiose flash of radiation. We are dealing with astronomical time and a quantum tunnelling probability that is a small number. The reaction is temperature insensitive. Hydrogen fusion in the sun occurs at a low temperature ~20 million Kelvin by a quantum tunnelling reaction. Chemically speaking  Arrhenius kinetics are innapropriate in that a further term is added to the preexponential factor to account for a fusion that nominally requires temperatures of several billion Kelvin. In the solar core H atoms are colliding on average for a billion years before fusion happens by the elecroweak process. Only ca. 0.7% of the fuel gets burnt over a lifetime of 10 billion years. In the real fields, campers can cook a chicken in a cool box with extra outerinsulation. All it takes is a 60watt light bulb in the bottom with a cover over. Place the hen on top, cover the box and come back in 6 hours. The chicken is perfect, well cooked but anaemic in colour. The cool box contains ca. 2 cubic feet of space. Suppose you want to cook a spherical pig; a 1 cubic metre box will suffice but how much power do you need? A cubic metre is say 30 cubic feet. You don't need as much as a couple of kilowatt bulbs for energy source. Infact, I've digressed to bring home one key point. That seething mass that is our sun with a surface temperature of 5700Kelvin and a diameter of around a million miles. There's some horrendous nuclear furnace in towards the core, correct? Every cubic metre of space in the solar core actually generates ONLY ca. 300 watts of heat every second! That's 3 100 watt incandescent  light bulbs. Due to the insulation beyond the core the internal temperature is huge. If you tripled the power input the temperature increase is a fourth root law and eventually the solar surface would rise to about  7,500 Kelvin and because of its size brown ourselves in a climatic doom.

Quantum tunnelling in a close approach of two massive white dwarfs or neutron stars generates energy in a manner that not even stellar fusion processes or even gravitational collapse can compete with. As the the stars approach the Roche limit, the tunnelling probability that is infinitesimally small (infact we couldn't quantum tunnel bacteria from Earth to Mars or vice versa within the lifetime of the solar system) approaches unity for a time duration of a second. Bang! This is quite unexpected in that it is far more powerful (1000 fold) than an SN1a and of  a much shorter duration; seconds rather than months and with no leftovers around the plate or McD trash. Presumably it's another gamma ray flash mechanism to add to the list. They are as numerous as horticultural tips .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:30:42 pm by graham d »

Blackprojects

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:40:10 pm »
Some Super Super Novae EXPLODE and Totaly Destroy them selves

Leaving Nothing in there Place apart from Gass and Dust and Radiation!

These are Bigger than a Hypernovae which Produce a BlackHole (GRB)