Author Topic: Want crosshair option in the classify dialgog  (Read 2580 times)

Merkosh

• View Profile
Want crosshair option in the classify dialgog
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:08:32 am »
Sometimes it is very diffcult to identify what object is to be classified. A good example is this image:

AGZ0004DBU
Survey: SDSS
SDSS ObjectId: 1237676483340468715
Right Ascension: 109.707291005091 °
Declination: -15.1079399443973 °
Petrosian Radius: 7.483667

Who could tell on first sight which object is meant to be classified ?

I would like to propose the following solution: Implement another button, just right of "invert". As long as the mouse is hovering over that button, a pair of diagonal crosshairs is to be blended into the image, showing the image like in the attached image. That would allow to easily identify the meant object. When the mouse leaves the button, the crosshairs would disappear.

The crosshairs could be simply plain color or (maybe better) invert every pixel on the crosshair lines.

ElisabethB

• View Profile
Re: Want crosshair option in the classify dialgog
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 12:17:12 pm »
I use a piece of paper the same size as the image with crosshairs on it.
Works like a dream !  ;D

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »
I use a piece of paper the same size as the image with crosshairs on it.
Works like a dream !  ;D

Hmm - with some development work, I probably could weave a firefox add-on for that  (save a tree, use an add-on  ;D ;D)

But I'd prefer a solution that's built into the site itself ...

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »
For what it's worth, I asked about this almost two weeks' ago, in a comment to a Galaxy Zoo blog entry (here).

The author of that blog entry - Karen Masters - replied "For the SDSS images, if you follow the Galaxy Zoo Examine link you can zoom in on the Skyserver image. In most cases the central object is pretty obvious, so just do the best you can." While that's certainly true - that you can do some clicking to get the SDSS Skyserver image - it doesn't help with deciding which object to classify ... because you can't go clicking until after you've finished classifying!  ::)

I wonder how many people have classified the "wrong" object (because they couldn't work out which is the right one to classify)? And what scientific value the classifications of those hard-to-decide objects has (other than, perhaps, as a psychology study in how good - or otherwise - zooites are at figuring out where the center of an image is  ;)).

Merkosh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »
(...) it doesn't help with deciding which object to classify ... because you can't go clicking until after you've finished classifying!  ::)

Yeah ... that's the problem. And the hint "ruler" is somewhat complicated due to the fact that the image border area is usually as dark as the surrounding background. That makes it hard to find the edges.

I wonder how many people have classified the "wrong" object (because they couldn't work out which is the right one to classify)? And what scientific value the classifications of those hard-to-decide objects has (other than, perhaps, as a psychology study in how good - or otherwise - zooites are at figuring out where the center of an image is  ;)).

Correct - that effect probably would decrease the overall quality of classifications .... at least for images with lots of objects on it.

ZooPlus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:24 am »
While that's certainly true - that you can do some clicking to get the SDSS Skyserver image - it doesn't help with deciding which object to classify ... because you can't go clicking until after you've finished classifying!  ::)