Author Topic: Can we get rid of the search with the white box in the top right corner.  (Read 2527 times)

Budgieye

• View Profile
Can we get rid of the search with the white box at the top right corner.
Either that or give it a better label.

I believe that it is used for searching one topic only (I think?), but it causes confusion for newbies.

elizabeth

• View Profile
Re: Can we get rid of the search with the white box in the top right corner.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:50:31 am »

I believe that it is used for searching one topic only (I think?), but it causes confusion for newbies.

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D Rofl.................sorry Budgieye had a problem with this today. if you check out the newbie thread. http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=271742.msg620344#msg620344

I think we need a how to search thing. ::)

Search has been a problem since the beginning  but my dear if you think they (zookeepers) listen to us ..................well they don't so it is up to those who have been here awhile to show how.

Since the powers that be have left the building!!!

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »
Here is something I wrote for the Moon Zoo forum which may be relevant here:

The Search feature is a bit strange - have you noticed that there are two search features? There is one on the top left between 'Help' and 'Admin' and another at the top right.

If you start at the Home position by clicking on the Home button, then click on Search at the top left. Enter a search term, e.g. "Swirls", and click on 'Search'.
This search will find the first item that matches the search term in each unique thread - i.e. it does not find all occurrences!

To find all occurrences of a search term, navigate to the thread you're interested in and enter the search term in the top right search box and click 'Search'.

It's worthwhile experimenting with the search feature to work out what it does.

I think we need both searches but need to understand what each does. Maybe rename the search boxes - 'Global Search' & 'Local Search' ?
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »
Yes, we can! ;D , but I don't know how.
I am undecided, what to "vote".: For or against the white search box?

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:48:31 am »

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D Rofl.................sorry Budgieye had a problem with this today. if you check out the newbie thread. http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=271742.msg620344#msg620344

I think we need a how to search thing. ::)

Search has been a problem since the beginning  but my dear if you think they (zookeepers) listen to us ..................well they don't so it is up to those who have been here awhile to show how.

Since the powers that be have left the building!!!

Well, sometimes zookeepers listen to us, but it takes a while!
"Odd features" suggestion« on: October 13, 2009, 11:20:12 AM ».: http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=276427.0
As far as I remember, it was also suggested by other members.
Finally (THREE years later), it is realized in the new GZ.
Or maybe it just seems, that they listened to us.:
I don't know, if the zookeepers were informed about that suggestion and listened to us, or if they just had the same idea later?
There is no post by the zookeepers in that "Odd features" suggestion topic.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:28:31 am by zutopian »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:18:39 am »
I remembered following case (previous GZ), where the zookeepers listened to us.:

GZ blog post: "Classification tree tweaks" from May 2010:
During the first month or so of Galaxy Zoo: Hubble we have received a great deal of very useful feedback, particularly on the forum. In particular, two features of the new classification tree appeared to cause a fair bit of consternation amongst some of the Zooites. After considering your comments, and much deliberation, we decided to make a few changes.
http://blog.galaxyzoo.org/2010/05/21/classification-tree-tweaks/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:24:26 am by zutopian »