Author Topic: Teaching with Galaxy Zoo  (Read 2254 times)

Runwithchemicals

• View Profile
Teaching with Galaxy Zoo
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:02:28 am »
I know that most of the observations are pretty simple, but I was wondering if there were a set of example pictures that could be made available to go through with students, almost like an in class training.  Possibly a slideshow going through the different types of observations so a class can be all on the same page.  I saw something in the lesson plan section about galaxy cards, but being at a public school, color printers are not common (if ever available) and the number of prints would be large.  Has anybody out there developed something like this or is there a GZ example out there that can be used to work into the individual work?

Runwithchemicals

• View Profile
Re: Teaching with Galaxy Zoo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:05:57 am »
Also, is there a way to track the specific observations that students make with the galaxy zoo as an accountability measure of students?  It would be nice to see something that lets the teacher know how the students are doing with the classification.  Possibly give all members of a group the same first few photos to categorize and report them back to the teachers to see if students are on the right track or if they need a little assistance in their classification.

ojohnson

• View Profile
Re: Teaching with Galaxy Zoo
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:30:48 pm »
Hi, runwithchemicals.  Not sure if you'll be checking back on this post from last month, but if so try out the Galaxy Zoo Navigator.  If you run in group mode, you'll be able to see the number of classifications your students do and they'll automatically be able to see the last 12 SDSS classifications they do.  If you wanted to retain access to _all_ the galaxies they classify, you could ask them to 'favourite' all the galaxies they classify.  Some resources to accompany the Navigator are being developed now and may well include a guide to different types of objects as you've requested.  Keep an eye on the ZooTeach, as that's where you'll find anything that does get produced.