Author Topic: What good does "REPORT" do, in GZ4 Talk?  (Read 7614 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
What good does "REPORT" do, in GZ4 Talk?
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »
Each comment has three buttons, labelled REPLY, RECOMMEND, and REPORT.

If you click on the last one, a pop-up box appears, asking if you are sure you want to report the comment. If you answer yes, then the third button turns black (meaning it's no longer a link) and becomes REPORTED.

But what happens?

And what do you do if you want to report an entire discussion (of which the comment you reported is just one, report-worthy, thing)?

And where can you ask questions like this, in Talk?  ???

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
Re: What good does "REPORT" do, in GZ4 Talk?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:52:11 pm »
Looking at GZ4's "Talk" in (http://www.galaxyzoo.org/) - it might help if 4th was in the title of this version of GalaxyZoo, as well as in the text, to identify the version - I see that only 'REPLY' remains active, after being submitted, so that more replies could be sent.

As regards 'RECOMMENDED'  and 'REPORT' it would help, if these buttons were left active, after being first used - and where does RECOMMENDED and REPORT go to - the moderator?
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:08:10 pm »
'REPORT' reports the (offensive, ude, etc)  post to the zookeepers and admins (I think). Not to the moderators. Or maybe that got fixed in the meantime.
Don't know what the recommend button does.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »
'REPORT' reports the (offensive, ude, etc)  post to the zookeepers and admins (I think). Not to the moderators. Or maybe that got fixed in the meantime.

That's what I expected. Well, not the mods bit. Not much point if mods don't get reports, is there? I mean, zookeepers and admins are far too busy to actively follow up, aren't they?

Anyway, the REPORT I made (did? clicked?) seems to have had no effect; the offensive/rude/etc comments (almost an entire thread of them, in fact) are still there.

If you, of all zooites, don't know, who would?  ??? I mean, you have to be one of the most dedicated, active, helpful, enthusiastic, positive zooites there is!  8) ;D

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:58:46 am »

That's what I expected. Well, not the mods bit. Not much point if mods don't get reports, is there? I mean, zookeepers and admins are far too busy to actively follow up, aren't they?

Anyway, the REPORT I made (did? clicked?) seems to have had no effect; the offensive/rude/etc comments (almost an entire thread of them, in fact) are still there.

If you, of all zooites, don't know, who would?  ??? I mean, you have to be one of the most dedicated, active, helpful, enthusiastic, positive zooites there is!  8) ;D
This may be but we are not the 'powers that be'

Brooke

• Astronomers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:19 pm »
Oh! I just discovered a place in Talk where I can see what's been reported. I didn't think I had a high enough privilege level to see that -- oops. Obviously I will check the reported list regularly from now on. Sorry!

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »
Oh! I just discovered a place in Talk where I can see what's been reported. I didn't think I had a high enough privilege level to see that -- oops. Obviously I will check the reported list regularly from now on. Sorry!
;D ;D wonderful might clean up the place. Thanks  :-*

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »
Time to check the latest report list in Talk !
I stop talking in GZ Talk for the moment.
The list should be checked every day. Actually, it should be discussed, what could be done to reduce comments, which have to be reported.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:01:00 pm by zutopian »

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
The annoying group of schoolkids have left the building !  ;D
Talk is safe again !  ;)

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:32:08 pm »
Yes, they left and hopefully will not return. Their comments are not deleted yet.
Some other users replied to their comments. I did following comment in Talk.:
"Don't reply to those provocative/abusive comments! I stop talking until the science team takes action."

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »
This was not the first time that a class of youngsters were online for an hour or so.
I think it is great that teachers use GZ in the classroom. But of course the kids can get a bit rowdy.  ;)
I think the teacher should keep a closer watch on his pupils. (if that is possible of course! )
this is a bit annoying but not a major disaster. These are just kids.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:39:10 pm »
But what action could they take?

A dozen people with nimble fingers can type far faster than a couple of admins can delete messages, especially if the former treat this as some sort of game (doubly so if they are motivated to develop automated scripts). Banning their accounts means losing their clicks/classifications, doesn't it? So that's not much use ...

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:26 pm »
This was not the first time that a class of youngsters were online for an hour or so.
I think it is great that teachers use GZ in the classroom. But of course the kids can get a bit rowdy.  ;)
I think the teacher should keep a closer watch on his pupils. (if that is possible of course! )

Sure, and let's fervently hope it doesn't get any worse.

However, as I see it, the current implementation of Talk is totally wide open to spamming and abuse of all kinds; kinda paradoxical really: the more popular Galaxy Zoo is, the greater the chance that someone who delights in taking advantage of the weaknesses of Talk will actually do so ...

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:16 pm »
But what action could they take?

A dozen people with nimble fingers can type far faster than a couple of admins can delete messages, especially if the former treat this as some sort of game (doubly so if they are motivated to develop automated scripts). Banning their accounts means losing their clicks/classifications, doesn't it? So that's not much use ...

I guess, that persons, who post such comments, might also feel free to do misclassifications deliberately. Their classifications should be checked by the science team.
If those are really school kids, who are using GZ in the classroom, the GZ science team should contact their school and complain about their posts. Well, I don't know, if it is possible to find out the school.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:01:05 pm by zutopian »

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00:06 pm »

Sure, and let's fervently hope it doesn't get any worse.

However, as I see it, the current implementation of Talk is totally wide open to spamming and abuse of all kinds; kinda paradoxical really: the more popular Galaxy Zoo is, the greater the chance that someone who delights in taking advantage of the weaknesses of Talk will actually do so ...
IMHO the galaxy zoo talk thing is not kid friendly at all! I do not recommended it for kids. I would give examples of some of the nasty stuff posted over there but the moderators on this Forum would be all over me! :o