Author Topic: Are there any plans to classify galaxies using the GALEX archive?  (Read 1753 times)

Infinity88

• View Profile
The Galaxy Evolution Explorer (GALEX), is an ultraviolet telescope that has mapped 3/4th of the sky. The GALEX archives hold more data than present efforts can properly catalog. Is this an archive the Zoo Galaxy community can classify?

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any plans to classify galaxies using the GALEX archive?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »
This is an excellent question!  8)

One that I think has been asked before too (though I couldn't find any threads on it, with a quick search).

As I understand it, there's a fair bit of work involved in preparing any archive - such as a GALEX one - to make it ready to be used in a Zooniverse-like classification project.

If any astronomer thinking along these lines is reading this, I'd volunteer to be part of the prep-team for any such project!  ;D

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any plans to classify galaxies using the GALEX archive?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »
We've been kicking around the idea of a GALEX Zoo for a while, with several distinct science drivers (one of which ties back to Hubble Zoo). A student here has put in some time laying the groundwork (area of sky, depth of exposures that make sense to use, what sample to start with). The GALEX team likes the idea as well. I learned last week that another project already has a cache of GALEX images as JPEGs that we might be able to tap "as is". So watch this space - or somewhere like it...

If I may quote from a song by the Chromatics, performed at a UV astronomy conference (to the tune of "Blue Moon"):

UV - you are my destiny
it's only you I see
when I look to high z.

Galaxy - you tease and torment me
Primeval wannabe
picked up by HST.

Your UV architecture is peculiar
I wonder what the rest of you looks like
You could be a bright spiral or irregular
but you're redshifted nearly out of sight.

UV - you are my destiny
UV, UV, UV,
show me the galaxies.