Author Topic: Would you like to go to Chicago? Zooniverse Project Workshop  (Read 3306 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Would you like to go to Chicago? Zooniverse Project Workshop
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:32:00 pm »
Dear all,

This April, Jules, hopefully me (depending on my exam timetable), and one of you will get to go to Chicago to help plan future zoos!

It will involve various presentations about future projects and how to design them and they want input from us, the users, on how to make it as good as possible. The dates are April 29th and 30th.

If you'd like to go, tell them why:
. . . please tell us in no more than 250 words a little about yourself, why you think you should go and what you can contribute to the discussions as a volunteer. Please add your full name and preferred e-mail address and send this to team@zooniverse.org with the subject line CHICAGO PLEASE. The closing date is 12 noon GMT on Thursday 7 March 2013. The Zooniverse team will choose the successful entry.

Further details here on the blog, and JeanTate has started a topic here in Star Space where there is more discussion.

I really hope to see you there - sadly my exam semester begins on April 29th, so if I have an exam then or shortly afterwards, please bring a galactic penguin and lots of support for a lovely polite cafe-filled discussion forum in my place! :-*

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Would you like to go to Chicago? Zooniverse Project Workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:18:15 pm »
Finally, today the winners were announced in a new Zooniverse blog post by ZK Chris.:
http://blog.zooniverse.org/2013/03/13/project-workshop-winners/

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:18 pm »
I've just received my exam timetable and will have an exam on April 30th. So I can't go. :'(

Please bring along my spirit of lots of community, getting a place nicely organized, crediting everyone for developments, etc :)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:56:01 am »
Sorry to hear that Alice. You would have made a great contribution.

No, wait! What am I saying?!?  :o But for Galaxy Zoo - as the Zooniverse was, back then - you wouldn't be taking an exam on April 30th, would you?  ::)

Please know that as you sit down to take that exam, the whole Zooniverse community will be right there with you, in spirit, wishing you all the best (and knowing that you'll just ace the exam).  ;D  :-*

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:33 am »
... and JeanTate has started a topic here in Star Space where there is more discussion ...

Yes, I did.

I also started one in Planet Hunters Talk: The second Zooniverse Project Workshop in Chicago! and in Galaxy Zoo Talk: The second Zooniverse Project Workshop in Chicago! (and elsewhere too; however, none of those others have any discussions in them).

The PH Talk thread has some great discussion! Clearly that Zooniverse project is so successful in no small way because of the vigorous and enthusiastic involvement of Meg Schwamb, the hyper-active PH Science Team member.

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 07:32:19 am »
I am also sorry to hear, that Alice can't go. As far as I remember, Alice was also invited last year, but also couldn't go.

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 02:22:02 pm »
That is such a shame Alice. Hopefully you will get a chance to go next year. But as Jean says we're all right behind you wishing you every success in your exams.
Please bring along my spirit of lots of community, getting a place nicely organized, crediting everyone for developments, etc :)

Definitely! :)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:44 pm »
Thanks folks. It is a disappointment - I could have gone last year without missing exams, but my passport took 3 months to arrive >:( Although the extra revision time was probably a good thing. It is, as Jean says, entirely the fault of the zoo that I'm doing these exams and this course anyway!

I hope those who go have a wonderful time! :)

system322

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:51:51 am »
It's late, it is not the best time to respond (I got drunk while working ... phew ... 26 hours?, And I really need to go to bed before collapsing on the keyboard) but one thing I will say (or send the last signs of life).

This is originally dedicated to an unknown person, but perhaps also apply to many other people ... also unknown.

An event, a meeting, an opportunity, instances of life that form on very few occasions and they are valued for what they are ephemeral and incomprehensible. (yup, the domino effect that gives a specific result has a beginning and an end, but the beginning is the end of an earlier beginning and end of this will be the beginning of another rear end, which is why you can not understand that a particular situation can be anticipated in final form, or can be really understood if there is no real control of the causes and consequences that led to that situation to gestate)

But! * break *, despite that, they are appreciated as something you need to experience firsthand.

However, being unable to attend, usually generated that feeling of emptiness, disbelief, the classic "huh?", unable to understand... why the hell I can not go.

This is when the disappointment becomes a reality, and all the plans generated just fade, unseen as the stars under the watchful gaze of a mole.

But here is where magic happens, (or was in similar situation? .... Oh forget it).

Alice... you will feel betrayed or angry with this situation directly, but I think (just think, I have no idea really, "hey, that was the other reason for not publishing a response ...")

One possibility is not really "a possibility" but only "one of the dominoes that have fallen from a sequence of which is unknown beginning nor an end."

Maybe this time you can not attend, but that does  mean that this is the liquid O2 , the gunpowder, the fuse or ... * Please insert a synonym here * to start the next opportunity of a lifetime.

Do not crashes for this, or do not feel bad, you'll always have another chance, since they are as white dwarfs out there, you can't se it until you know they are there, if you do it will be by accident, or because someone else within the position, but this is just one of the dominoes, which has been pushed by the one behind.

Relax, I have the feeling that something good will come of all this. (says a slave submerged in fatigue and beer).

I don't know if you really understood what I attempted to say, not sarcasm or anything, just something that came from inside me. I think if I were in normal (sane) could have said it more clearly, or understandable. Although maybe I can not participate in a topic that is not for me.

Anyway, have fun. <3
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:05:09 am by system322 »

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »
Oh, I don't mind so much now. I can probably go next year, but I won't get endless opportunities to do my exams. Also, I know my voice has been heard plenty of times by the zookeepers as I've been lucky enough to have been heavily involved from the beginning - so it is a good thing to let other people's different viewpoints get an airing as well! :)

Hope you don't have to work 26 hours too often! That sounds like good training to become an astronomy professor come to think of it :-\

system322

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 04:18:54 am »
Oh, I don't mind so much now. I can probably go next year, but I won't get endless opportunities to do my exams. Also, I know my voice has been heard plenty of times by the zookeepers as I've been lucky enough to have been heavily involved from the beginning - so it is a good thing to let other people's different viewpoints get an airing as well! :)

Hope you don't have to work 26 hours too often! That sounds like good training to become an astronomy professor come to think of it :-\

Hmph!, After reading what I had written, I can feel "that" question around in my head ... "What the hell was I thinking?".

I remind myself "if I drink, I must not posting".

But, regarding your reply, I have not had any kind of active participation, at least not enough to provide an unbiased opinion on the matter.

Although, if I can tell you, provide opportunities (even if it is "the final solution") is one of the most emblematic to give a chance to those people who once could not go.

It might be a good opportunity for those two lucky to travel to Chicago, and for you too.

It is what it feels, losing an opportunity, but there will always be other, and do not accept it as a "consolation prize", just let it flow, every time we lose something, we gain something else.

I lost many opportunities to make money, but earn chances to work on what I love most.

I hope the same is presented to you, after this situation.

Best Regards.

Oh ... and ... "PS?", Those "26 hours" were actually "31 hours". This afternoon I calculate the hours I was on active duty while preparing a coffee. I normally work in the "office hours" (8 or 9 hours a day), but these weeks have been "all or nothing, at all costs" as it is a battle to the death.

On "became professor of astronomy", ... damn, no, never ... no way!.  I already have too many problems trying to understand the cooomplicated thermodynamics of the universe, ... to try to add the more complicated and tedious task to teach it to others.

H-hey, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, just saying that I'm too slow and stupid  to occupy the position of professor.