Author Topic: Real science  (Read 1817 times)

jon273

• View Profile
Real science
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:19:00 pm »
Astronomy is genuinely 'of of those subjects' about which the more you learn, the more questions you have!

The thing that confused me so much when I first started looking into galaxy formation (which I find fascinating) was that there was no way to actually observe formation as an active process due to the stupendously vast timescales involved. How do astronomers even work out what happens from a load of apparently static blobs?

The answer, as far as I can see, lies in the statistics of galaxy populations. Through analysing huge numbers of galaxies and populations, astronomers can spots trends leading to different stages of galactic evolution.

We're doing real science here; we're providing valuable crowd sourced data which can genuinely help astronomers analyse galactic evolution (see why I marked this post as cheesy?).

So yeah, that's why it's interesting to me.

And, of course, the 'carrot on the stick' which motivates me in the hunt for Jon's Voorwerp.

klmasters

• Astronomers
    • View Profile
Re: Real science
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »
Jon - that's fantastic. You absolutely right that you are doing real science, providing valuable data, and helping us to improve our understanding of the galaxy population.

PS. You're totally right - it's a bit like trying to figure out the human growth cycle from a single photo of a (very large) crowd! ;)

PPS. Hope you find a voorwerp. I bet there's still tons of things we haven't worked out are interesting just waiting to be found.

jon273

• View Profile
Re: Real science
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:26:01 pm »
So how many people on here are astronomers, helping themselves by classifying galaxies for their own research?