Author Topic: GZ in Kiosk Mode?  (Read 5830 times)

Alice's AstroInfo

• View Profile
GZ in Kiosk Mode?
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:14:08 pm »
We're going to have our teens take GalaxyZoo out among the exhibits on an iPad for Astronomy Day on April 27, 2013 (yes, our Astronomy Day celebration is a week late).

Is there a kiosk mode or login account style I should know about? I was planning to create a general account that all guests would use so we can track the results. I can share that account back with the Zooniverse team you're interested.

Is it okay to have one account for many people doing a facilitated activity?
Is there a way to link sets of accounts together so a teacher can view students' activity?

Thanks,
Alice

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
Re: GZ in Kiosk Mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:19:52 pm »
Hi Alice and welcome to the Zoo! :) There might be possibilities, as we've set up things like this for events before. I'm going to mail you. ;)

Alice's AstroInfo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:57 pm »
Thanks Hanny!

I did end up checking out the Navigator for setting up groups. I think we've used that before for one of our teen groups.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »
Good stuff. :)

Brooke

• Astronomers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:04 am »
Hi Alice,

I recently used Navigator for a group setup like what you're describing -- I had a main computer hooked up to a projector and showed some examples of classifying, and then I also had some iPads for people in the room to use on their own. Before people started arriving, I set up a new Zooniverse account and started a group using Navigator. Then I logged all the iPads into the same new account as the main computer, and set them all up to classify in the group. Throughout the day I would use the main computer to show people how their classifications were going and to make some plots, like histograms of absolute magnitudes, etc.

I don't think you have to set up a new account to do this -- and you don't have to use a single account, either. It would be perfectly fine for the students to have separate accounts and just add them to the group. I only used a single account because I was visiting a school and I thought the classes might want to play around with their classifications later, and I wanted to be able to give them the account password (and I knew it would take too much time to have everyone make their own account on the fly).

It works very well, but it's also a fairly new feature and still in development, so there are some things I noticed that you might like to be aware of:
  • Any computer/user that's in the group can classify within the group, but only the computer that started the group can use the other features of Navigator, such as "My Galaxies" and "Histogram" etc. For everyone else those are just blank. (I believe this is a bug and I've told the developers about it.)
  • If you show histograms of magnitudes, the magnitudes are (sensibly) plotted as increasing from left to right, but because the magnitude system (not sensibly) is such that bigger numbers are fainter, that means that faint stuff is at the right side of the plot and bright stuff is at the left. (I've also asked the developers to switch the direction of the axes when plotting magnitudes.)
Good luck -- and I hope you come back and let us know how it went! I'd also be happy to share any feedback/suggestions about Navigator with the development team.

Cheers,
-Brooke