Author Topic: Upgrading forum accounts  (Read 5528 times)

Arfon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Upgrading forum accounts
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:56:55 pm »
Hi everyone

We've recently upgraded the forum software to the latest release and as part of this process we've moved the registration/account management of the forum accounts back here (rather than at Zooniverse Home).

Just to be clear, the new (upgraded) forums will be at the same locations as before.

Before you can log back in to your account you will need to reset your forum password - this is a one-time only thing but without doing this you won't be able to log in.

To reset your account please head over to this page:

http://galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?action=reminder

and click on the 'forgot your password' link on the lower-right of the login box.

You should then receive an email to your registered email address which gives you a password reset link back for the forum. Enter your new password twice and you should then be able to log in with this new password.

Here's to a faster, more secure forum!
Cheers
Arfon

P.S. Debugging potential issues:

During testing one thing that has come up a few times is that people's web browsers are caching some of the code from the old forums which makes this password reset loop go a little crazy. If this happens to you then please try emptying your web browser cache (instructions here: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html) and then try going through the whole process again.

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading forum accounts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:24:14 pm »
Thanks Arfon,

Just one problem, which I have now resolved, my old password was 6 characters long, to set the new one, you need an 8 character password.

Regards,

John
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:07 pm »
 :) So we have to log in each time? :o :o and what did you do to the smilies?

Arfon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
You shouldn't have to login every time - you should be able to set the login time to 'forever'.

Looks like they changed the smileys with this update of the forum software. Are they very different?

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »
When I go from Talk to the forum I have to log in every time.  They are aweful! Any chance of getting the old ones back?

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:53:51 pm »
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
Yup, very different ! But at least, here we have smileys !
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:55:27 pm by ElisabethB »

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 09:56:41 pm »
:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
Yup, very different ! But at least, here we have smilies !
Els do you have to log in every time going from Talk to forum?  I really want the old ones back.

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:50 pm »
Nope, I stay signed in !

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:05:41 pm »
I have to log in every time I access the forum too - but then I sometimes had to before anyway with Galaxy Zoo. Everything fine with the other forums -  Moon Zoo, Solar Stormwatch and Old Weather log me in automatically.  And I love the smilies! ;D

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:17:15 pm »
oh well!  It seems I have to log on  in all the Forums.  Well does no good to moan and groan about it. I will make do

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:19 am »
There is one problem I've found. I went through the account reset for the Moon Zoo forum and reset my password to what it was before (6 characters). However, the Galaxy Zoo forum demands an 8-character password so I now have two separate passwords for two Zooniverse forums. Before this I used the same password wherever I was in the Zooniverse.
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »
Good observation Geoff, mine was already 11 characters, so I didn't pick that up, I guess users can change to a common 8+ Character password for all the Zooniverse projects that they are involved in.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:00 pm »
I have to log in every time I access the forum too - but then I sometimes had to before anyway with Galaxy Zoo. Everything fine with the other forums -  Moon Zoo, Solar Stormwatch and Old Weather log me in automatically.  And I love the smilies! ;D

I logged in as "Forever" (permanently, etc), but had to log in again, after I'd gone offline for a while. Made no difference that I didn't close my browser, nor that I had a browser window open (GZ forum Home page) ...

And I'm with elizabeth; I want the old smilies back!  >:( :'( :P

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:26 pm »
I was hoping I would wake up and everything would be fixed. Lets see....I still have to log on every time I come onto this forum. cannot log on to the moon Forum or Solar Stormwatch or old weather at all. Space warp and Snapshot Serengeti appear to be working well. :'(

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »
I tried to log in to OW, and got the same runaround set of messages as here. I had to say I'd forgotten my PW, get the link in my email, put in my PW (twice), and was able to log on. I haven't tried MZ or SSW yet.

One puzzle: why do you have to go through this set of steps for each and every Zooniverse forum? I thought the was a single sign-on (log in for one, you're logged in for all, provided you're using the same browser, on the same computer, etc)?  ???  :o

Oh, and the old smilies are still better!  :P