Author Topic: Upgrading forum accounts  (Read 6024 times)

elizabeth

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading forum accounts
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
I tried to log in to OW, and got the same runaround set of messages as here. I had to say I'd forgotten my PW, get the link in my email, put in my PW (twice), and was able to log on. I haven't tried MZ or SSW yet.

One puzzle: why do you have to go through this set of steps for each and every Zooniverse forum? I thought the was a single sign-on (log in for one, you're logged in for all, provided you're using the same browser, on the same computer, etc)?  ???  :o

Oh, and the old smilies are still better!  :P
:) Yes the old smilies are better at least I could see them. It is hard for me to see the new ones they all look the same.

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:41 pm »
Actually I miss good old roll-eyes. Remember him? We still have the old style smilies on Moon Zoo and Solar Stormwatch.

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:57 pm »
Actually I miss good old roll-eyes. Remember him? We still have the old style smilies on Moon Zoo and Solar Stormwatch.
Yeah! but I can not log over there :'(

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
From all the replies I have seen, I wonder how much software testing went into this new code - also a poll of the users and/or the moderators, as to what they would like, would have been useful.

Had a software meeting at work today, where it was emphasised that all <software> changes must be referred to the customer, even if they asked for them or not, as some changes can result in some unexpected results - the story of Ariane 5's first launch, is a case in point. (My ex-manager worked on the failure examination.)
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:22 pm »
Finally got loged in to moon zoo forum and the smilies are the new one's :'( :'( :'(  I think I will go wash the car before I throw a Tizzy!

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:33:48 pm »
Finally got loged in to moon zoo forum and the smilies are the new one's :'( :'( :'(  I think I will go wash the car before I throw a Tizzy!
I still get the old ones! Strange. :o

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:21 am »
 ;D  I can go from talk to forum without having to log in again.  Well that's one small step.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 08:35:37 am »
I think someone forget to turn the 'prevent spamsters' switch on, when they fired up this upgraded version of the forum!

I must have reported a dozen instances of spam already, in one case the spamster managed to get two spam messages published.

Can someone with admin privileges please review the forum settings? There's way too much new spam for this to be simply an 'upgraded' version of SMF.

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 01:34:46 pm »
Thanks for all the reports. I hear settings are being reviewed  ;)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 04:03:48 pm »

Well, the flood of spam has completely stopped (as far as I can tell), so someone seems to have done something right!  8)

Or it may be that now that it's daytime in the US and Canada, there are many more zooites online, and spam is getting reported faster. And as the mods are all also up and awake (you're all based in Europe, right?), the spam gets even shorter shrift.  ;D

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 04:13:48 pm »
Fingers crossed. I am still getting a few but nipping them in the bud. And yes we're all Europe. We think a few few are spambots, which I guess don't need much sleep ;)

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 05:40:08 pm »

Well, the flood of spam has completely stopped (as far as I can tell), so someone seems to have done something right!  8)

Or it may be that now that it's daytime in the US and Canada, there are many more zooites online, and spam is getting reported faster. And as the mods are all also up and awake (you're all based in Europe, right?), the spam gets even shorter shrift.  ;D

As regards Spam, a few weeks ago I turned off the Spam Control on my E-mail provider and was quite surprised how much was coming through, so I now use that control and the Mailwasher product - so I imagine the new forum settings were left in default mode.
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

Bruno

• OotD posters
  • Alta in caelo splendet luna micant stellae mille et una
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »
I can stil log on Zoouniverse with the old password
However I changed it on GZ
 8)
Ciao
Bruno

Cadunt lilia, surgunt rosae
Stellae in caelo sunt radiosae

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 07:07:04 am »
Fingers crossed. I am still getting a few but nipping them in the bud. And yes we're all Europe. We think a few few are spambots, which I guess don't need much sleep ;)

I just reported two new ones, and had a unusual experience: apparently there's a time limit for consecutive reports, if you try to make two reports less than x (20?) seconds apart, you get a message telling you you can't! But it's actually quite easy to report two separate spam posts in less than 20s. So while I can see the logic behind this limit - among other things it deters cyber attacks on our forum - it may be that it could be set to, say, 10s. What do you think?

elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 07:58:48 am »

I just reported two new ones, and had a unusual experience: apparently there's a time limit for consecutive reports, if you try to make two reports less than x (20?) seconds apart, you get a message telling you you can't! But it's actually quite easy to report two separate spam posts in less than 20s. So while I can see the logic behind this limit - among other things it deters cyber attacks on our forum - it may be that it could be set to, say, 10s. What do you think?
:o :o oh dear they are all over the place reported two here and I do not know how to report the one I saw on Moon Zoo. ::) and the rolled eyes do not roll!!