Author Topic: Possible SN finds  (Read 13522 times)

VJOM

• View Profile
Re: Possible SN finds
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »
I want to ask is if the report a SN found in the SDSS images by accident is reported with our Nick Name?

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 05:47:01 am »
You can't discover supernova in SDSS, you can only find the ones that have already been identified.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,
Don't forget this post.

SDSS Supernova Survey  http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=279740.0

http://www.sdss.org/supernova/aboutsupernova.html

http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR?-source=J%2FAJ%2F136%2F2306 (This will give you the LC's...click Submit)

http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR?-source=J%2FA%2BA%2F526%2FA28 (This will give you the SN type, coordinates, ect....click Submit)

http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr8/en/tools/quicklook/setEq.asp?ra=126.95733018&dec=44.86902242 (This will give you the SDSS DR8 Quicklook/Explore data after you plug in the coordinates...RA and DEC)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:51:12 am by Budgieye »

planetaryscience

• OotD posters
  • 33rd most talkative in galaxy zoo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 08:39:11 pm »
SN2005W

http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr8/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237679478555279443
I think I caught an image of it while it was still happening!

(image of it:)

I like to find asteroids and galaxy mergers- but all galaxies are still fine to me.

VJOM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 02:02:24 am »
You can't discover supernova in SDSS, you can only find the ones that have already been identified
I ask because I found a SN not been reported to any site! and I could not report it because they do not know where to!

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 05:53:34 pm »
How do you know that you have found a supernova? Do you have your own telescope?

Here is the report link

IAU Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/DiscoveryInfo.html

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:55:42 pm by Budgieye »

planetaryscience

• OotD posters
  • 33rd most talkative in galaxy zoo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »
well, I was classifying a galaxy and then went on "examine" and there it was, on NED "SN 2005w"
I like to find asteroids and galaxy mergers- but all galaxies are still fine to me.

VJOM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
I need information from someone who is not so arrogant! Thank  :-\

Just wondering if by chance there is a non-SN was not ranked in the SDSS image, you can report? and if you happen to be left with the Nick Name of the find! Thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:22:30 pm by VJOM »

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 06:34:54 pm »
There seems - to me - to be some confusion, in this thread, about supernovae in SDSS images.

Budgieye is right, in saying that the supernovae discovered by the SDSS team itself were found during The SDSS Supernova Survey:

Quote from: SDSS
The SDSS Supernova Survey was one of three components (along with the Legacy and SEGUE surveys) of SDSS-II, a 3-year extension of the original SDSS that operated from July 2005 to July 2008. The Supernova Survey was a time-domain survey, involving repeat imaging of the same region of sky every other night, weather permitting. The primary scientific motivation was to detect and measure light curves for several hundred supernovae through repeat scans of the SDSS Southern equatorial stripe 82 (about 2.5° wide by ~120° long).

Over the course of three 3-month campaigns (Sept-Nov. 2005-7), SDSS-II SN discovered and measured multi-band lightcurves for ~500 spectroscopically confirmed Type Ia supernovae in the redshift range z=0.05-0.4. In addition, we harvested a few hundred light curves for SNe Ia that we did not have the opportunity to spectroscopically confirm, but for which we are measuring host-galaxy redshifts after the fact. The survey also discovered about 80 spectroscopically confirmed core-collapse supernovae (supernova types Ib/c and II).

All identified SN candidates were made publicly available instantly via the web and via VOEventNet. All confirmed and likely SNe were announced rapidly in Central Bureau for Electronic Telegrams circulars.

She's also right in saying that Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams (CBAT), under the auspices of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), is the official body for reporting supernova discoveries (and for naming them).

Of course, an SDSS image may well contain a clearly identifiable point source at the same location as an identified supernova, and this may even be an image of that supernova. Further, IAU Circulars on that supernova may even mention the SDSS image, possibly as a pre-covery (unlikely) or a post-maximum serendipitous image.

c_cld has, more than once in this thread, pointed out that you need to be very careful with locations (positions). Yes, a supernova should have an RA and Dec (its celestial location, sorta equivalent to longitude and latitude), and they should be both precise and accurate enough so you can point to a particular pixel in an SDSS image and say "here's where it is (or was)!" Sadly, not all secondary sources report positions with such precision and accuracy; and sometimes even the primary source (i.e. an IAU Circular) may be wrong (it also doesn't help if the estimated errors are not reported, or if the epoch - the "J2000", "B1950", etc, that you sometimes see - is not given).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:14:21 pm by JeanTate »

VJOM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »

Thank JeanTate Friend, I tell you what happened! I dedicate myself to find Asteroids in SDSS Images of uninformed So Far! but I also dedicated himself to find New SN that have not been previously encountered by any SDSS team, so wondered if it was possible to report these SN :) Thanks

fatha731

• OotD posters
  • If we must fight, let's fight for peace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »
Well actually I started this thread mostly for the SNs that are not visible in the pictures (which I would post). I try to find the right coordinates but sometimes I'm wrong. That's why it's "possible" SN thread.  :)
That's regarding Jeans comment.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:55:50 pm by fatha731 »

Budgieye

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 08:22:29 pm »
VJOM, I am sorry. Let me try again.

How do you know that it is a supernova? A spectrum must taken at the time of the supernova to prove that it is a supernova.

Are you looking only at SDSS images, or do you have a telescope, too?

You need an image before the supernova, and an image during the supernova.

With SDSS,  we only get an image taken at one date. 

An afterwards image, after it has faded, would be nice too, which you can take with your own telescope.

If your name appears in a scientific paper published by the Galaxy Zoo team such as Supernova Zoo (which is not SDSS images), you can use either your real name or your nickname (your forum avatar).

I do not understand your questions but I hope this helps. :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:52:26 pm by Budgieye »

VJOM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 09:04:42 pm »
VJOM, I am sorry. Let me try again.

How do you know that it is a supernova? A spectrum must taken at the time of the supernova to prove that it is a supernova.

Are you looking only at SDSS images, or do you have a telescope, too?

You need an image before the supernova, and an image during the supernova.

With SDSS,  we only get an image taken at one date. 

An afterwards image, after it has faded, would be nice too, which you can take with your own telescope.

If your name appears in a scientific paper published by the Galaxy Zoo team such as Supernova Zoo (which is not SDSS images), you can use either your real name or your nickname (your forum avatar).

I do not understand your questions but I hope this helps. :)
Hello, if I have the Stock Before, during and after! but compare with the SkyView Virtual Telescope and cds website, besides I do not use the Galaxy Zoo Supernovae, simply sailed for hours in the SDSS image DR9 and 8 and 7, ETC.

But I can not get pictures of these SN with my telescope since all pictures are made ​​many years ago and I only have is to compare them with other images in other image databases mentioned above! So Far I have three SN found in this way in the SDSS images, and only had the concern whether they could report and if Nick were targeted with the User Name. :)  ;D Thanks.

sorry for the translation, use Google translator ..

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:04 am »
SN2005W

http://skyserver.sdss3.org/dr8/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=1237679478555279443
I think I caught an image of it while it was still happening!

No  :-[ ; you can't get SN2005W in an image taken on MJD 5.4849197E4 i.e. 2009-1-18:4:43. four years after explosion!   :'(

As often your object is offset from the coords of SN  :(

Tony Wei

• OotD posters
  • We believe justice forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 07:18:36 am »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling ,but in rising every time we fall.
——Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

fatha731

• OotD posters
  • If we must fight, let's fight for peace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:20 am »

Quote from: NED
BASIC DATA for SN 2002aq
SuperNova Type             : II

Observed in 2002, hence not visible in this picture.