Author Topic: One warm summer night  (Read 1416 times)

astropolis

• Engineer and SF writer
    • View Profile
One warm summer night
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »
I had been reading a book by Patrick Moore in which he described Arcturus (spectral type K) as having a "lovely orange-red colour" under magnification.

I wanted to see this for myself, so I borrowed my father's field glasses, lined up Arcturus, and there she was, wandering around in the field of view, this gorgeous copper-gold glow.

In cosmic terms thirty-odd light years is barely in the next street, and it would be great to see her close up. Then I realised that there was no way anyone would build a ship that could make it in my lifetime.

Frustration. Except...

There IS a way of going there. I gave the field glasses back and borrowed dad's typewriter. That was the moment I became an SF writer. Now I'm still writing, have even had a few stories published, but am even more fascinated by real astronomy. And that's why I'm here.
"A thousand generations and more looked up at a sky they didn't understand, and named the stars - never dreaming they were naming the suns that would burn in the skies of worlds their children would inherit. It's a humbling thought - it makes me wonder what else there is out there..."