Author Topic: Galaxy Zoo Talk down?  (Read 1894 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Galaxy Zoo Talk down?
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:38:12 pm »
The classify site is working OK (so it seems), but Talk is down: I get the 'spinning spokes' symbol of 'forever loading' (I'm using Firefox).

Anyone?

planetaryscience

• OotD posters
  • 33rd most talkative in galaxy zoo!
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Zoo Talk down?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:24:09 pm »
It works just fine for me (I run firefox 26)

Which version are you using?  ???
I like to find asteroids and galaxy mergers- but all galaxies are still fine to me.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 04:30:34 pm »
It works just fine for me (I run firefox 26)

Which version are you using?  ???

27.0 I tried closing the tab(s) and reopening; no luck. Haven't tried restarting Firefox (or the PC) yet.

No problems with Chrome (though I did not try to sign in).

Strange ...

planetaryscience

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:56:25 am »
Okay, as I doubt a technical genius will go on, I'll just recommend what any person would say:

first, you should probably check and/or refresh your internet connection.
If that doesn't work, see if your computer is disabling something that talk needs to run (cookies for instance?)
If none of the previous work, just reboot your computer.

If rebooting doesn't work, the best thing you can do is probably just wait it out until there's a new version of Firefox.
I like to find asteroids and galaxy mergers- but all galaxies are still fine to me.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:07:01 pm »
After cleaning up the number of windows and tabs I had open, and then rebooting, the problem went away.

Only to be replaced by a different one: I have one v2 Talk PM which is without a title/subject line; prior to the reboot, all v2 Talks showed an 'unopened' PM (the symbol to the left of the 'Return to classifying' button), even though I'd 'opened' it. Now none of them do, even when I do have an unopened PM (not the 'no subject' one)!  ???

Perhaps even stranger: RGZ classify has a little 'envelope' icon in the top right corner (GZ classify does not). It showed '2' unopened PMs, irrespective of how many I actually had. Clicking on that icon brings up the same RGZ Talk page as if I'd clicked on the envelope icon inside RGZ Talk (the RGZ Talk 'profile' page) ... and clears the 'unopened PM' counter! Somehow the v2 'unopened PM' counters/icons have lost their synchronizations with the actual unopened PMs ...

planetaryscience

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 09:57:10 pm »
Interesting... I can't tell how that works or why that would even happen, but you should probably post that in the bug report thread...  :-\ I don't think that's an easily-fixable thing.

ElisabethB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:59:59 pm »
After cleaning up the number of windows and tabs I had open, and then rebooting, the problem went away.

Only to be replaced by a different one: I have one v2 Talk PM which is without a title/subject line; prior to the reboot, all v2 Talks showed an 'unopened' PM (the symbol to the left of the 'Return to classifying' button), even though I'd 'opened' it. Now none of them do, even when I do have an unopened PM (not the 'no subject' one)!  ???

Perhaps even stranger: RGZ classify has a little 'envelope' icon in the top right corner (GZ classify does not). It showed '2' unopened PMs, irrespective of how many I actually had. Clicking on that icon brings up the same RGZ Talk page as if I'd clicked on the envelope icon inside RGZ Talk (the RGZ Talk 'profile' page) ... and clears the 'unopened PM' counter! Somehow the v2 'unopened PM' counters/icons have lost their synchronizations with the actual unopened PMs ...

I've got 5 supposedly unopened pm's. Annoying but not life threatening !  ;) ;) ;) I can live with it.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:25 pm »

I've got 5 supposedly unopened pm's. Annoying but not life threatening !  ;) ;) ;) I can live with it.

D'accord.  :) It'd be considerably more annoying if you were sent PMs but they did not show up at all, so you would have no way to even know they existed, much less be able to read them.

In fact, the one 'subject-less' v2 Talk PM I do have is readable only under Profile -> Messages as one among many; I can't click on it, reply to it, etc ...  ::)