Author Topic: A thread for discussions with Grant Miller, the Zooniverse Community Manager  (Read 3243 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Over in The unbearable arbitrariness of serendipitous Galaxy Zoo discoveries? thread, zutopian wrote (in part):

Grant Miller is the Community Manager, who is apparently unreachable! That's strange, isn't it? I even didn't know before, that the Zooniverse has a Community Manager!

My turn next:

Announced on 11 December, 2013, in the Zooniverse blog: Rob and Grant are running out of ideas for the Advent Calendar: "It also serves as an introduction for me, the new Zooniverse community manager."

There is just one (published) response to that blog post, by me (December 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm):

Quote from: JeanTate
Welcome Grant!

Sounds like a really cool job you have. How much do you have to do with developing versions of various Zooniverse projects in languages other than English? Also, as I’m sure you know, it’s extremely difficult for zooites in China to access FB, Twitter, and even WP-based blogs (though many Zooniverse-related ones are OK because they do not have WP in their URLs), yet zooites in China as just as keen as those in the UK! What are your plans to enable zooites in China to go beyond mere classifying?

No reply.  :'(

And before you could say "Mr N. I. Aboc is unreachable, truly ...", Grant posted this:

Fear not! Reports of my unreachableness have been greatly exaggerated.

Pleased to virtually meet you all. I am Grant Miller, and as you seem to know already, I am the new Zooniverse Community Manager (for want of a much better title). If you want to reach me you can do so by emailing grant@zooniverse.org. I am also @mrniaboc on Twitter and I manage the Zooniverse Facebook page, so if you wanted you could PM me there too.

Jean, I apologise for giving you the cold shoulder with respects to your blog response! The fact is I never saw it. Comments are disabled for Daily Zoo and I'm not sure how you even managed to leave one, but I can't even see it now! If you see something you would like to talk to me about on Daily Zoo, you're best to just email me from now on so I definitely see it. Though I can't promise I'll reply right away. The Zooniverse community is getting pretty big ;)

Anyway, to answer your question: It is mainly Rob and Chris Snyder with the help of Meg Schwamb who have been leading the translation effort, and they're making some amazing progress. However, you are right about there being problems in CHina with major western social media platforms. To combat this I have been looking into the possibility of creating a Zooniverse presence on the major Chinese platforms such as Weibo and Tencent.

Cheers

Grant

The unbearable arbitrariness of serendipitous Galaxy Zoo discoveries? thread was in danger of going serious OT (off-topic), so rather than take it even further OT, I decided to start this thread here, with the express purpose of having a thread focused on discussions with Grant Miller, the Zooniverse Community Manager!  ;D

Welcome to the Galaxy Zoo forum, Grant!  ;D Whoops ... wait a minute ... you're a much older oldbie than me!  :-[  8)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
In a completely different part of the GZ forum, PeterD asked "Is ZooCon 2014 happening at Oxford this year?"

Capella05 soon replied, "Grant is now responsible for arranging Zooniverse meetups etc...;D

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Thanks for answering my questions, mrniaboc.  :)

Quote from: mrniaboc
Jean, I apologise for giving you the cold shoulder with respects to your blog response! The fact is I never saw it. Comments are disabled for Daily Zoo and I'm not sure how you even managed to leave one, but I can't even see it now!

Well, if I had indeed been able to post a response/comment to Daily Zoo, perhaps you would be able to see it!  :P As I wasn't, you can't ... so there's nothing to apologize for ...  ;)

Fact is, my comment was posted to a Zooniverse blog post, dated December 11, 2013, with the title of "Rob and Grant are running out of ideas for the Advent Calendar". Here's the URL: http://blog.zooniverse.org/2013/12/11/rob-and-grant-are-running-out-of-ideas/ It features a vimeo video, whose URL is http://player.vimeo.com/video/81544627

But it turns out that I did manage to post a comment in Daily Zoo!  :o It's under "About", but is "awaiting moderation", so only you can see it ...  :(

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Zooniverse and the GZ forum, Grant!
Another way to reach him: Since he is finally a GZ forum member, we are able to send him PMs here.

Tony Wei

• OotD posters
  • We believe justice forever!
    • View Profile
Anyway, to answer your question: It is mainly Rob and Chris Snyder with the help of Meg Schwamb who have been leading the translation effort, and they're making some amazing progress. However, you are right about there being problems in CHina with major western social media platforms. To combat this I have been looking into the possibility of creating a Zooniverse presence on the major Chinese platforms such as Weibo and Tencent.
So glad to hear this phenomenal news!Hopes I'll be able to have a finger in the pie that time(I've got both of these sites' account).Meanwhile I'll also start some discussions on some Chinese forums(I've started a topic about Thursday, 6 February 2014: SDSS1133).
Our greatest glory is not in never falling ,but in rising every time we fall.
——Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela

PeterD

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Grant,

to answer your question about why we still use the forum, and I am going to answer in a fairly general way, it is simply because it is much easier to use than Talk and easier for us to navigate around although that might be a question of familiarity . That is not to say that we don't use Talk etc., we often do but there are things that we can achieve here, that we can't in Talk (which I am going to use as a catch all term)

Many of us have been using the Forum for a long time as a vehicle for conversations as well as a means of running threads and co-ordinating activities such as Green Peas, Blue Caterpillars, Irregulars and so on, and on, not to mention general "stuff" (see "The Outer Universe"). The orange and black may not be the most attractive environment but it works :) . Its drawback is that threads proliferate and sometimes that can be confusing, but is largely necessary.

The users on the Forum tend to be longer term and more "serious" about their astronomy. Personally, I don't find Talk an environment in which to co-ordinate activities easily, nor has it succeeding in delivering Tools and data in a way which is helpful.

I am more than happy to discuss this further either here or via PMs

Regards,

Peter