Author Topic: RAS/Galaxy Zoo Greenwich Park Picnic 2014 - Sunday 20th July 2014  (Read 4475 times)

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
This picnic will be at the usual place in Greenwich Park (Sunday 20th July 2014) - Details to follow later.

Details of last year's picnic - http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=280582.0

I ought to have mentioned, that this will be the 25th Anniversary of the RAS Picnics.
(Some people haven't changed over the years.  Some people came along as babies, or less and are now reading for a Phd.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:06:52 pm by JohnF »
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

JohnF

• View Profile
Re: RAS/Galaxy Zoo Greenwich Park Picnic 2014 - Sunday 20th July 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:18:59 pm »
Further Details :-
=========================================================
Date -- Sunday 20 July (slightly earlier than usual).

Location -- as always (except in 2012 when the London Summer Olympics took over our venue) right by the Wolfe Statue outside the main entrance to the (old) Royal Greenwich Observatory (RGO), Greenwich Park  London SE10 9NF. If using google maps, scroll down southwards from the map location thereby given. Watch out for the white, swallow-tailed, RAS pennant fluttering in the breeze nearby (and usually just to the east of the Statue)!

Transport --

(a) by car (use the route planner from theaa.com). In the main you enter the southern entrance gates of the Park from the Blackheath area and drive up the long Blackheath Ave to the end and park there.

(b) by public transport: two routes

(1) By Tube and Docklands Light Railway (DLR). Change at Bank Tube Stn (Northern  --black-- Line or Central --red-- Line) and get onto the DLR . You may have then to change at Poplar. In the main, get on a DLR with Lewisham (south of the River) as terminus. One can then get off at Greenwich joint DLR-Rail Stn. One can also change onto the DLR, from Rail Stns at Stratford and at West Ham.

(2) By Rail-a Sunday (usually 1/2 hourly) S/Eastern service leaves Charing X, Waterloo East and London Bridge Stns to Greenwich - with Maze Hill (MH) Stn as the stop immediately following Greenwich. Services in the other direction come from Dartford etc.

Although  Greenwich is not far, it is the slightly further of the two Stns near to the Picnic -and is to the north west of the site. Slightly nearer, and to the north east of the site, is MH . One can  --if an eastbound train is coming into Greenwich Rail--  switch over from DLR to Rail and go one stop eastwards.

If alighting at MH from central London, cross over the bridge to the westbound (toward London side) platform, go past the (usually closed on Sundays) ticket office and leave through the small exit gate (remember, if using Oyster, to touch out). Turn immediately right up the hill and you'll see the Maze Hill sign at the top. There look left and you'll see the park railings with the N/East entrance gate.

Enter the Park and then turn right. You'll pass the children's playground and then the boating lake-both on yr left. Just past the lake, you'll see on yr left, a tree-lined path. Enter the path and don't veer left or right therefrom. Up hill and down dale, you'll emerge from under trees and ahead of you, high up on the Hill, is the RGO! A steep path is on your left-take it and ahead of you, you'll see the RAS pennant. Welcome to the Picnic! 

In recent years we've been joined by the GalaxyZoo people and in IYA some years ago, there was a fine display of telescopes -with solar projection obviously!  At one of the early events --on their way to Cambridge for a conference-- staff joined us from Siding Springs (what an honour and a surprise)!! Our post-Picnic events in nearby Blackheath, have included water powered rockets!

(Early RAS Picnic arrivals may be able to avail --now an annual feature--  of suitably sparkling alcoholic refreshment of French origin!  Thanks Guy-as always!)   

Do bring the usual Picnic items (food, drink, blanket to sit on etc). We've usually been blessed with excellent weather. Let us make this Silver Anniversary Picnic a special one!

best wishes   

David Lally

(co-host of the annual RAS Picnic with Quentin)

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:45:24 pm »
Further Details:-
(Note:- Attachments, as indicated below, can be supplied upon request.)
==================
Greetings, Space Cadets!

I suspect that some of you will have already noticed that the date of this year's picnic coincides with the anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing.  In fact, this year will mark the 45th anniversary and of course it falls on a Sunday, as did the original date back in 1969.

I would therefore like to encourage everyone to mark the occasion, which can be done in a number of ways:
•   Wearing suitable t-shirts or other related clothing (bonus points for space-suits!).  Silver apparel to mark the picnic's anniversary will also be welcome.
•   Bringing appropriate food. Astronaut ice-cream and strawberries are the obvious choices, but to make things easy for you, I have attached the Apollo 11 menus for you.  To be strictly accurate, you should select items from the Day 5 menu!  This includes salmon salad and butterscotch pudding :)
•   Bringing telescopes. I will have my Coronado solar telescope and also my ETX-90.  Both the Moon and Venus will be visible, and I have attached screen shots from Stellarium showing the general view south and a close-up of the Moon, which will be 20º above the horizon at 1pm, setting at 3:20.  Not surprisingly the phase won't match that in 1969, but you can't have everything!
Venus will be mag. -3.8 and there is also the possibility of spotting Mercury, mag. -0.43.
•   Rocket launchings!  Always a favourite activity at the picnics.  I will have a couple of launch systems, and everyone will have the opportunity to make and launch their own Apollo 11/RAS commemoration rockets :)  I'm sure that Quentin will also have something spectacular …
•   Any other activities.  I'll have some wordsearch sheets; what other things can you come up with?

I look forward to seeing you for this special double anniversary!

Regards,
Jerry

Jerry Stone FBIS
Freelance Presenter on Astronomy and Space Exploration

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:28 pm »
Further information - http://www.ras.org.uk/picnic