Author Topic: Annual Zooniverse Team Meeting: Chicago 2014  (Read 13681 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Annual Zooniverse Team Meeting: Chicago 2014
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:12:33 am »
You may remember that in 2013 three ordinary zooites were invited to attend the annual Zooniverse team meeting; see Zooniverse blogs Calling all Zooites! Your chance to attend the second Zooniverse Project Workshop in Chicago! (February 27, 2013), and Project Workshop Winners (March 13, 2013), also this forum's Would you like to go to Chicago? Zooniverse Project Workshop and Second Zooniverse Project Workshop: 29 and 30 April 2013 threads.

This year the only announcements are two Daily Zooniverse posts, Zoo Tattoo (May 19, 2014) and Meet the “entire” Zooniverse Team (May 20, 2014)1. Here's the latter:

Hey all, we took this picture today during our annual Zooniverse team meeting at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. It was pretty hot and humid out there, which made me really regret being in a suit! The only people missing in this shot are Kelly Borden and Chris Lintott who sadly had to leave early.

We’ve been in Chicago (where half of the team are based) since Monday discussing how to move forward with the Zooniverse and make taking part in our projects an even better experience for everyone involved :)

Here's the image:

Can you put names to all the 22 faces?

1 It has been pointed out to me that there are also some Tweets (on Twitter); I don't do Twitter

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Annual Zooniverse Team Meeting: Chicago 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:55:28 am »
It is a really nice image !

PS : The damaged street lamp shouldn't have shown up on that image! Someone might want to alter the image by using photoshop! :)
PPS: Here is the large version of the image.: http://dailyzooniverse.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/zoo2014-team.jpg
And when one clicks on the large image, a larger version is shown.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:10:01 am by zutopian »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:53 am »
Did some zooites take part ? If so, who are those zooites ?

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 12:11:21 pm »
Did some zooites take part ? If so, who are those zooites ?

As far as I know, no Zoonites took part, though Chris L. was there.

Halfway through their discussion, they (via Twitter) asked for some Feedback - "Feedback" on the conference, or "Feedback" on what Zooniverse is trying to achieve, this being the case, then "Feedback" should have been asked before the conference started.  (Though it was suppose to be an internal meeting, there is a lot of people in the photo.)

For "Feedback", I suggested a Forum should be added to the Home Page of Zooniverse.  Apparently, from Twitter, this (or something similar) is being thought about - I did suggest this some time ago.
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:55:31 pm »
I would be astonished, if really no zooite had the chance to take part in that workshop. Last year at least a few zooites had the chance to participate. So why not this year? ZK Chris had said in a reply to a blog post by jules concerning the "Zooniverse Workshop 2013" following.:

(...) We’ve found it very useful to have representation from the volunteers there in the past (Jules did a great job last time), but can’t cater for large numbers of people. (...)
http://blog.zooniverse.org/2013/02/27/calling-all-zooites-your-chance-to-attend-the-second-zooniverse-project-workshop-in-chicago/

Last year just a few zooites were allowed to take part, but this time it seems, that no zooite had the chance! Actually, ZK Chris had promised a more open Zooniverse.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:24:28 pm by zutopian »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:21:59 pm »
I would like to see the workshop program! As far as I remember, Jules had posted the link of the program concerning the previous workshop.

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
I would like to see the workshop program! As far as I remember, Jules had posted the link of the program concerning the previous workshop.

Maybe the Zookeepers are starting from scratch and don't want any preconceived ideas
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 05:10:18 am »
I sent a PM in Talk to GZ astronomer Brooke aka vrooje and received below reply. She gave permission to make her PM public here.

The meeting this year was internal only. In past years various science team members and zooites were invited to attend, but this year the situation is a little different, in part because of funding issues. The team has also recently expanded greatly, both in Oxford and Chicago, so the meeting was mostly about making sure the expansion goes smoothly from an internal, technical standpoint. Almost nobody who is solely a science team member was invited either, unlike last year.

We did talk about a number of things that have been discussed on Talk, the blogs and the forums, including the Quench project and Talk itself. Whenever possible I referred to conversations that I have had in the past with zooites at all seniority and experience levels, including moderators and newcomers. And I suspect everyone will be hearing more about some of the things we discussed (though I don't know exactly when).

Cheers,
 -Brooke

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:12:25 am by zutopian »

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:29 am »
Here's the image:

Can you put names to all the 22 faces?

Today's Daily Zooniverse is about the Zooniverse team:

Quote from: Grant Miller
As a follow-up to Tuesday’s post of the team picture I thought I would share the team page with you so you can see at a glance who everyone in the picture is and what they do within the Zooniverse. You can view the team page www.zooniverse.org/team

There are only 20 people on the Zooniverse team (per the team page), and only 19 photos; Kelly Borden and Chris Lintott are not in the Chicago photo, so there will be, at most, only 17 matches (among the 22).  :P

Here's my first attempt to put names to the faces; from left to right:
  • 1 ?
  • 2 Laura Whyte (graham d, zutopian)
  • 3 ?
  • 4 ?
  • 5 ?
  • 6 ?
  • 7 ?
  • 8 ?
  • 9 Grant Miller
  • 10 ?
  • 11 ?
  • 12 Julie Feldt
  • 13 Brooke Simmons
  • 14 ?
  • 15 Brian Carstensen
  • 16 ?
  • 17 Kyle Willett (zutopian, me)
  • 18 Ed Paget
  • 19 Jim O'Donnell
  • 20 ?
  • 21 Sascha Ishiwaka
  • 22 ?

UPDATE: I've added two names, in pink, based on later posts
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:51:39 am by JeanTate »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 07:34:51 am »
I guess, that 17 is Kyle Willett. I recognized him, because I had seen him on pictures/in videos on the GZ blog. 

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:15:10 am »
The meeting this year was internal only. In past years various science team members and zooites were invited to attend, but this year the situation is a little different, in part because of funding issues.

I guess they were deciding how to divy up the cash; no wonder they all look so happy. A good little number, built on the
backs of volunteers.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/131213.html

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:58:39 am by zutopian »

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:32:38 am »
A good little number, built on the backs of volunteers.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/131213.html

Ever felt naive and exploited?

Indeed, a retired physicist from my local astronomy club went so far as to say that the real genius behind GZ
was that the scientists had got other people to do their research for them.

All for science of course.

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 09:37:09 am »
I guess, that 17 is Kyle Willett. I recognized him, because I had seen him on pictures/in videos on the GZ blog.

I think you're right ... but he's not listed as a member of the Zooniverse team!  :o That means there is, at most, only 16 matches ...

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »
2 is probably  Laura Whyte of the Adler Planetarium
I recall we are still waiting for a post from Chris- otherwise we have been abandoned. An internal meeting eh! It's rather reminiscent of the slogan "No taxation without representation".
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:59:16 pm by graham d »