Author Topic: Annual Zooniverse Team Meeting: Chicago 2014  (Read 14798 times)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
Re: Annual Zooniverse Team Meeting: Chicago 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:10 pm »
Two new Zoo Projects gave me migraines so i can not do them due to stearing at a lot of white and grey dots and blobbs!

Sunspotter was good but that is on Hold as all the Data was maxed out I am basically in Moth balls!

As for Oxford and The GZ Meet up do not hold your breath as now Zooites no Longer ecide when and where we will meet up we are being placed in a Rack or File for use  and taken out when required. Hmm I am not going into a File.

for storage aas for get togethers if we do not do it i will stick to Astronomy with my baker Street irregular Astronomer friends!

I'm got a Zooniverse mini-project (micro?) ... match the people in the photo to those in the Zooniverse team page (see this post, on page one)!  ;D

Are the matches suggested so far correct (in your view)? Who are the remaining ~7 (from the Zooniverse team)? For bonus points, who are the people in the photo who are not in the Zooniverse team page?  :P

If we can identify galaxies, surely we can identify people, can't we?  ;)

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 02:52:38 pm »

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »
One recent move
Amit Kapadia joins Mapbox

Some months ago, Arfon left the Zooniverse after 5 years, because he had decided to take a job at github. Amit left after just roughly 2 years. BTW, github and mapbox are both start-up companies.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 05:45:29 pm »
Guys, I'm not quite sure what the goal of this topic is, but since you're just sharing your opinions in a polite manner, we'll leave this as is. I do want to note that if you have a complaint, there are ways to get in touch with the team (talk, blog, mail...). In case you haven't noticed, they're not on here much anymore these days, so if you want to be heard by them, I'd try elsewhere. Just saying. ;)

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:35 pm »
Hi Hanny,  :)

I would say, that we just chat about matters related to the Zooniverse. (Just my humble opinion.)
We noticed, that most astronomers are however rare on the forum.:
Related topic: "Has Galaxy Zoo research become manufacturing? (why astronomers are so rare here?"
http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=281847.0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:31:25 pm by zutopian »

JohnF

• (Software Engineer, MBCS, MIET, FRAS, FBIS)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 05:41:04 am »
I had a message, from ZK Grant last night and he is happy for me, to let people know that there will be a ZooCon (UK) meet-up, sometime this year.
John C. Fairweather - http://www.jcfwebsite.co.uk

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 06:21:58 am »
I had a message, from ZK Grant last night and he is happy for me, to let people know that there will be a ZooCon (UK) meet-up, sometime this year.

That's good news!  :) Even though I will not be able to go  :(

Does it seem strange to anyone else that news like this - and even of the Annual Zooite Team meeting - emerges (if that's an appropriate verb to use) in such an indirect way? I mean, what's the Zooinverse blog for, and Daily Zooniverse*, if not to directly announce news like this?

* Oddly, there was no DZ yesterday, or Monday

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 07:48:04 am »
* There was a holiday period at the weekend in the UK, through until and including Monday.

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »

That's good news!  :) Even though I will not be able to go  :(

Does it seem strange to anyone else that news like this - and even of the Annual Zooite Team meeting - emerges (if that's an appropriate verb to use) in such an indirect way? I mean, what's the Zooinverse blog for, and Daily Zooniverse*, if not to directly announce news like this?

* Oddly, there was no DZ yesterday, or Monday

Hopefully, there will be a live link-up, similar to the 1st Sunday of the month live broadcasts.

I just thought I would post a confirmation that there would be a meet-up, I had asked the sender a number of times, about one.  When a date has been arranged, I expect details of talks will also be available.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:33 pm »
Just a note to say it was literally decided yesterday and people 'backstage' are still deciding upon a date. When there is something meaningful to share, it will be shared. Julianne and myseld have been in touch with Chris and Grant and I'm sure you WILL hear something official when time is due. Thanks for understanding. ::)

JeanTate

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »
* There was a holiday period at the weekend in the UK, through until and including Monday.
And elsewhere too.

Strangely, DZs the the 26th and 27th (of May) suddenly appeared, earlier today (the 28th)  :)

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »
I found following on the Zooniverse Publication page.:

Creativity in citizen cyberscience: All for one and one for all, Jennett+ 2013.
http://ac.aup.fr/~croda/tclab/creativity&attention2013Material/CharleneJennett.pdf

PS: I mentioned it also in the "Has Galaxy Zoo research become manufacturing?" topic today.

JohnF

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »
I'm not too sure where this should go, but it is to do with GZ -

http://daily.zooniverse.org/2014/06/04/brooke-talks-galaxy-zoo/

zutopian

• REOPEN this forum!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2014, 12:51:41 pm »
There is a new Zooniverse Project, namely Asteroid Zoo.:

Copy from a blog post about the project:

The Zooniverse has teamed up with Planetary Resources to ask you to help crowdsource the discovery of new Near Earth Objects (NEOs). Discovering new asteroids close to home not only helps us to locate and track potentially dangerous, Earth-impacting, hunks of rock – but it is also the start of a journey into space to try and mine asteroids for their minerals.
(...)
You may remember Planetary Resources as the company who ran a successful Kickstarter campaign last year to launch a public space telescope, and as one of the first commercial enterprises aiming to try their hand at asteroid mining. We’re excited to be working together to hunt for asteroids – and hope you will be too. (...)
http://blog.asteroidzoo.org/2014/06/24/welcome-to-asteroid-zoo/

I am rather astonished about the co-operation of the Zooniverse with a company!!!
Interestingly, investors (Planetary Resources, Inc.) include Google's chief executive Larry Page and its executive chairman Eric Schmidt according to the wikipedia article "Asteroid mining". : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

I am not going to take part in this project!

EDIT:

Copy from another blog post:

Google confirms that the Zooniverse is awesome! 12 Dec 2013
(...)
PS: Just to be clear, this is a philanthropic act from Google – we’ll continue to be an academic project run by the team at Oxford, Adler Planetarium and elsewhere and all your data remains with the Zooniverse as before. Nothing changes, except our ability to scale!
http://blog.zooniverse.org/2013/12/12/google-confirms-that-the-zooniverse-is-awesome/

To be honest, I think, that it might be a controversial co-operation.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:04:43 am by zutopian »