Author Topic: Creating Hyperlinks - avoiding long web addresses and making your text look nice  (Read 6748 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This isn't strictly astronomy. But due to popular request and the generosity of the Zookeepers in trusting my judgment  :), I am going to post some instructions for how to, say, avoid recommending a website like this:

This is a really funny post: http://chrislintott.net/2007/06/02/stupidity-squared/

and instead making it like this: This is a really funny post.

(Er, I hope Chris doesn't mind - I find his climate change posts especially enjoyable though; not surprising I guess since I did an Environmental Science degree, which was highly depressing.)

It's the same principle as how to post images properly. Above the smileys are those two rows of buttons. In the second row, the second button along is where you bung your image: [ i m g ] HERE [ / i m g ]. Well, the third button along is the hyperlink, the one with the Earth and a piece of paper. What appears in brackets is this:

[ u r l ] [ / u r l ] (without all the spaces - I'm avoiding it trying to work!!!!

But this time you need to insert TWO things in the brackets: the web address, and the word to turn into a hyperlink. Precede the web address with a = as follows:

So what I did was: [ u r l =  http://chrislintott.net/2007/06/02/stupidity-squared/ ] THIS! [ / u r l ]

In practice, make sure you avoid leaving any spaces in the web address, or between that and the equals sign.

Drop me a line if the above doesn't work. I enjoy helping out.

BunnyBB

• View Profile
Nice one Alice - exactly what is needed...
I had wondered how to achieve this but was too lazy to ask anyone  ;)

"It doesn't matter if it Feels good. What matters is if it's True."

Carl Sagan. May 3 1996.

ntanzi

• Now with a welcoming smile.
    • View Profile
Will do. It would be nice to have a feature that allows you to put the url and the descriptive text right in. *so lazy*  :P
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us.

-Carl Sagan

silverose

• Destiny, the fairy foal.
    • View Profile
Checking that it works:

GZ!
The possiblites never end: the universe, the imagination, the mind.

Seismic Pirate

• Not now, I'm having a bad day
    • View Profile
I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a while, now.  Thanks Alice!!  ;D ;D
Dream big, live large and die hard

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You're welcome! It was very nice for me to find out as well, way back when!  :)

galaxybabe

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me how to post a link to the "InvertImage" (I want the image to show, to hide the glare of a nearby star) thanks :)

Seismic Pirate

• Not now, I'm having a bad day
    • View Profile
From the SkyServer Object Explorer page, click on the image, instead of the "navigate" button.  This brings up the .jpg image without frames.  Select invert image from the list on the left and then do your regular right-click to get "copy image location".  ;D
Dream big, live large and die hard

galaxybabe

• View Profile
From the SkyServer Object Explorer page, click on the image, instead of the "navigate" button.  This brings up the .jpg image without frames.  Select invert image from the list on the left and then do your regular right-click to get "copy image location".  ;D
*so* simple when you know how  :D
 :-[ I had been trying to add "InvertImage" to the URL I already had,  ::)

Thanks very much indeed, that's worked now (it's in "Gotta love those blues" thread  ;D

:-*

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
Old post, hahaha...I guess, been a couple of years since last response.  So here I am...I was just looking around and found this, I've been trying to find out about that too.  Thanks Alice.

GZ
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

Lightbulb500

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
If only I had found this when I started :D
Thanks again for the private lesson Alice :)