Author Topic: Forthcoming TV & Radio shows that might interest you  (Read 31399 times)

MrFahrenheit

• View Profile
Re: TV & Radio shows that might interest you
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 07:05:33 pm »
How about the sky at night :)
Cant believe it hasnt been mentioned yet, although probibly most folk from the uk know abou it
some ppl from other countries may not
Possibly my fav show, on monthly on bbc2

A link to some of the shows that can be seen online-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spaceguide/skyatnight/proginfo.shtml

some of the earlier shows are pretty poor quality, the late ones are near dvd quality,
you will also need realplayer to view them in fullscreen, a link to it is also on the site.
"Im burning through the sky yeah! Two hundred degrees Thats why they call me mister fahrenheit, Im traveling at the speed of light" - (Queen, Dont stop me now)

M

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 08:14:22 am »
 The end
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:51:13 am by M »

Mark229

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 02:28:18 am »
Many yrs ago there was a show from Britain that I really liked.(I'm in USA)  It was something like: "The day that changed the universe"  Something like that. The commentator linked several events, inventions, etc. and how they have affected the present.

Marv

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 10:57:10 pm »
Many yrs ago there was a show from Britain that I really liked.(I'm in USA)  It was something like: "The day that changed the universe"  Something like that. The commentator linked several events, inventions, etc. and how they have affected the present.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Burke_(science_historian)
"connections" linked in wiki m8
Marvin

Marv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 11:02:05 pm »
p.s.
brilliant programme by a great presenter. pity they didn't do a lot more shows like that and a lot less of someone riding a bicycle along some piece of tarmac because someone else did the same journey a hundred and fifty years ago and then wrote a book about it. that's just got to be one step away from showing your holidays snaps.
Marvin

wwwwise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 09:21:07 pm »
Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis...I can't help but dream about being able to go through that gate.

Marv

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 11:01:49 pm »
we seem to have gone off the tracks a little here. i started this thread so that users could post when a science show was due on tv or radio so that others did not miss it. lets be very blunt here, there are few enough decent, or even half decent, programmes about science without us missing any.

please don't be offended but i really would like to keep this thread solely about forthcoming programmes and not turn it into a general discussion about favourite or missing shows so that the posts are kept low and details of shows are not "lost" in a possible mass of postings.

i'm sure there must be a fav tv shows thread in the cafe ...
Marvin

wwwwise

• View Profile
Re: Forthcoming TV & Radio shows that might interest you
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 12:28:26 am »
I'm sorry if you were offended by my suggestions.  Others mentioned TV shows that inspired them, such as; one mentioned 'lexx..Dr. Who, etc.  I guess I failed to see the 'Forthcoming' in your tread.  However, I have a guide button on my TV.  I can easily 'find' any science show that I want.  I assume others have that 'button' as well.  So, I guess I took it one step further and posted shows that have inspired me to that end.  I do not live in the UK, so unfortunately don't have access to some of the shows mentioned. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you.

carwotcar

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 05:47:38 am »
Don't worry about it wwwwise, If you look at all the threads they all veer off track eventually.

Marv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 08:52:26 am »
not at all wise. as wotcar said they all tend to go to different places ...

having said that, i specifically started this thread with the intention of every post being an "alert" to a forthcoming programme that will probably interest zooites somewhere (certainly not just UK).

lets call it a science show pager system.

p.s.
my search didn't find a "my favourite tv or radio shows" thread. why don't you start one?
maybe even two, one for sci-fi and the other for the more serious stuff

p.p.s.
and no, i don't have such a clever little button ...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:00:10 am by Marv »
Marvin

carwotcar

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 09:22:00 am »
Marv let it go, Every thread goes it's own way. One remark sends it in every direction, But the one  you want.

Marv

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 05:53:14 pm »
with the greatest respect,
ZooKeeperKevin agreed to sticky this thread on the terms that i laid-out in the first post.
if it is not being used for that specific purpose then it no longer fulfills its mandate.

this thread needs to be kept as short as possible so that every post is relevant to a forthcoming programme which should be posted with all the details shown in the first post.

please don't abuse the thread, as zkKevin says: "just announcements"

may i quote zkKevins post:

Stickied.
No spam please, just announcements.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 05:56:35 pm by Marv »
Marvin

wwwwise

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 06:14:38 pm »
Back to back on the Discovery Science Channel in the US.  Channel varies by location.  These are on tomorrow.

4:00 pm

(60 minutes)  Last Planet From Our Sun

TV-G, CC

The discovery of a massive region of rocky, icy asteroids in the outer solar system, along with at least one that is actually larger than Pluto, has caused a profound astronomical controversy. Is Pluto really a planet after all?

5:00 pm

(60 minutes)  Extreme Universe

TV-PG, CC

As scientists search the universe for undiscovered planets, they uncover incandescent storms big enough to swallow Earth, lightning bolts thousands of miles long, raging infernos of toxic gas and planets larger than any known to man.

6:00 pm

(60 minutes)  Parallel Universe

TV-G, CC

The strange notion of parallel universes is gaining strength in the scientific community and may solve our most basic questions about the universe, including the origins of the Big Bang itself.

wwwwise

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 07:06:11 pm »
I love the Naked Science series on the National Geographic Channel.  It's not real..um..'heady'..is that the word?  This is in the US

Naked Science: Deadliest Planets [TV-G]
Thursday, September 27, 2007, at 10P
Humans may someday develop technology to settle on other planets. What hazards would we face in accomplishing this feat? And is it possible to make other planetary environments more like our own? Now, Naked Science takes us on journey through our solar system and beyond to see some of the most extreme challenges we may possibly face in our quest to one day live on a neighboring planet.

opendix

• urkunde 28.july limette power php pda
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 11:32:24 am »
documentations:

what the bleep do we know?
its documentation about... mhm i dont know the english word for *quantenphysik*
heres a link: http://whatthebleep.com/

alpha centaury
its a german documentation series with proffessor harald lesch, he talks about different topics about the universe
here you can watch all episodes in real-player format: http://www.br-online.de/alpha/centauri/archiv.shtml

books & reading

i always read wikipedia for a overview of different topics, for news i use telepolis.de, in this website i have found a link to galaxyzoo :)
im a photon for you!