Author Topic: Most Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 38121 times)

silverose

• Destiny, the fairy foal.
    • View Profile
Most Frequently Asked Questions
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:51:30 pm »
I know of a few FAQ's, if you have any question put it here, if you have an faq, put it here, if you have an answer, you guessed it , put it here. (I hope that most of these questions are either on how to classify or tech questions.) Although I dont see what else you could ask about......

The first, and probably most popular question is how to post pictures. The best explanation i can give is HERE (Click the word here ;))

That should start us off. Start posting!
The possiblites never end: the universe, the imagination, the mind.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Most Frequently Asked Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:40 pm »
 ;D Cool idea silverose.

silverose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:53:22 pm »
Gratias ago vos!

(Most of us suck at Latin  ;D )

I love this thread, it's hilarious- News Flash: Galactosaurous

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:42:26 am »
heres a link about whether you should classify all or just the part of the image you are shown

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:47:23 am »
oh and to get to the SDSS page with all the info, click on the yellow galaxy ref number on the analysis page.
On the SDSS page you will find spectra
z number
if you click NED/SIMBAD search on teh left it's catalouge number (if it has one) will be shown which you can google for more info
If you click navigate (also on the left) or on the image on the SDSS page it will take you to a zoomable picture where you can also invert the colours etc (the check boxes on the left).
On the navigate page you can click on other bits of the image. clicking explore on the right will take you to its SDSS page

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:20:20 pm »
Here are some questions I find myself being asked - or simply stumbling upon someone's confusion during posts and offering to answer - pretty frequently:

Q) Why am I only a Newbie when I've classified loads of galaxies? How many do I need to classify before I can be Jr Member, or whatever?

A) It's nothing to do with how many galaxies you've classified. The forum and the zoo are not the same website - you need separate registrations and probably plenty of us are under different names on them. It's the number of posts you've written.
Newbie = 0-49; Jr. Member = 50-99; Full Member = 100-199; Sr. Member = 200-499; Hero Member = 500+.
As lots of us are quick to point out, these are not to be taken too seriously. Lots of us love posting on this forum, like me; but it's nothing to do with achievement or status. Lots of the zookeepers are newbies. On the other hand, obviously that doesn't make heros any less welcome, I hope . . .  ;D

Q) Why, when I follow the instructions and post [ i m g ] here [ / i m g ] as I'm supposed to, do I just get this?

A) You need a REALLY, REALLY LONG address in there. It's no good just copying and pasting the link to the picture, like this: http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/chart/chart.asp?ra=177.9640416&dec=38.48298467. You need one THIS long: http://casjobs.sdss.org/ImgCutoutDR6/getjpeg.aspx?ra=177.9640416&dec=38.48298467&scale=0.39612&width=512&height=512&opt=&query=
To get one that long, either click "Copy Image Address" if you've got that, or . . . see the thread silverose mentions at the top.  ;D

This is a cool idea, silverose, I will be interested to see how well it works out.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 02:06:44 pm »
Oh, and another one we get frequently:

Q) Why can't we have more statistics on the galaxies we analyse?

A) Basically because the servers are running at maximum capacity already. It's being worked on how to give you more without killing the poor things off, but now that 80,000 (probably more by now!) admirable souls have joined us, it won't be easy!

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 03:25:21 pm »
one about searching:
you can see if your object has been posted before by using the search function in the bar on the page (ie not the browser, the actual page). to search fro the objects ID. To search the entire forum you have to be on the HOME page or it will only search throught that particular section.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:19:29 pm »
In fact, I've got a question myself, let's see if anyone can shed some starlight. Does anybody else find that, when they use the Search button for anything except galaxy reference numbers - e.g. a word or a phrase or a name - it automatically lists every instance on this website of which the word "by" has been used instead of what you wanted it to look for? Or is that just my computer playing up? And what can be done to control it?

And if it IS a widespread problem, could people let me know so we can think about removing the recommendation to use it from the "If You Can't Find Your Thread" posts in Tech Support and Welcome. Many thanks.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 05:10:28 pm »
Hey Alice,

I just tried but I don't have that problem!
I do think it is a shame you can't look for topic titles, but well, it does work if you know a phrase, well, over here it does :)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:13:42 pm »
I'll be at college in Cornwall in just over a week and can try out all the different computers there, too. It's probably just this Mac. (At this moment I duck and run away in terror of being trampled by hordes of angry Mac fans . . . JUST KIDDING! On both counts!  ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Still, cheers Hanny, and any more feedback on the Search box appreciated.

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 05:56:51 pm »
i get wierd results using words in the search. was trying to find hanny's pea thread earlier and it wouldnt come up when i typed give peas a chance (well it probably did but WAY down the list!! surely it should be up the top?) and when i typed peas it did come up but again the first few answers had nothing to do wiht peas!

silverose

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:30:21 pm »
Alice I have the same problem, I try to search for some of my rather lost threads, and you would think that they would appear at the top of the list? I tried this experiment: i search the key words to one of my threads, the thread doesnt appear. (I noticed that they all said 'new'?). I'd search for a totally different thread, however, the exact same threads appear. What te heck is going on?  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Anycase, let the pinball continue between alice, fluffy and I!  ;D

silverose

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:42:30 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean to exclude Hanny  ;D

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 07:48:52 am »
Sorry, didn't mean to exclude Hanny  ;D

;D