Author Topic: About this board  (Read 57859 times)

zookeeper_Kate

• View Profile
About this board
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:54:49 pm »
We have been overwhelmed by the awesome response we have had to this
project. We feel like we've really captured people's imaginations with
Galaxy Zoo, and we'd like to know why.

Please leave us feedback here about why you are taking part. We hope that
what we learn from you can be helpful to future projects like ours.

BunnyBB

• View Profile
Re: About this board
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:24 pm »
My passion for astronomy is lifelong. Ever since I can recall I've gazed skywards.
Storm clouds in daylight and stars at nightfall, equally fill me with awe and wonder and make me want to know 'Why' about my place in the world.
Simply knowing that we can know something about the objects we're looking at in this amazing project humbles me.
Nothing religious here, mind. Simply one Human looking out into the deep history of us all.

"It doesn't matter if it Feels good. What matters is if it's True."

Carl Sagan. May 3 1996.

amoroso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 02:18:08 pm »
Please leave us feedback here about why you are taking part. We hope that
what we learn from you can be helpful to future projects like ours.
Some easons why I am taking part to GALAXY ZOO, just the first ones that come to mind (in no particular order):
  • I have a chance to analyze actual scientific data, not just educational or public outreach material
  • I learn something about the practical, mundane issues of scientific research and data analysis
  • I learn something about galaxies
  • I can contribute to an interesting and ambitious research project
  • it's fun
  • I get to see breathtaking views
  • couch potato universe surfing is just plain cool

Paolo Amoroso
Avventure Planetarie - Blog sulla comunicazione e divulgazione della scienza

Halibut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 02:30:44 pm »
I'm in with these guys as well.  Space and everything in it is so fascinating.  Just knowing how small you are is something that's really hard to explain.

Then it's all so beautiful, and it really makes me jealous of all those people who'll get to go to space after my lifetime (I doubt I'll get to to go, not enough money and I don't suppose my health would be good enough!).

Then it's also amazing to be able to do some good work, like classifying whole galaxies without knowing all the extra crazy genius astrophysics.  I'm good at science, I just never wanted to be that good.

And finally, it's an addiction to the lure of the pretty things and the knowledge other people might never have seen that item before. Every small orange blob might lead to something or world wide importance and breath-taking beauty. It's a lot like gambling, but with the less of the monetary cost :D

suprtrkr

• Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:35:45 pm »
Just that, Kate: You have captured my imagination.

To try for some specifics:

1) This stuff is beautiful, I could stare at it all day.

2) I don't have a telescope of this quality in my pocket.

3) I don't have any other access to the rapid--and patient--answers I can get from the team. I am seriously interested in the subject and you guys are providing me with a depth of knowledge and quality of brainpower that is--to say the least--unusual.

4) I applaud the improvised nature of the project: "Computers aren't too good at it, we can't do it all ourselves, we got no budget to hire professional assistance; I reckon we'll just have to draft some volunteers."

5) I am overwhelmed--honored--overjoyed (language fails me) with the opportunity. Imagine, pissant little old *me* doing original research in Astrophysics! It doesn't matter that it's at kindergarden level--that's all I'm capable of. It doesn't matter that I may be (probably am) often wrong--I'm doing my best, and learning more each minute. I am making a contribution! And I don't care that I'm not gonna get a PhD for it--you guys (some of you , anyway) will. All I can say is "Wow!"

ps. This forum is wonderful. Maybe too wonderful--If I don't quit reading and posting, I'll never classify any galaxies.

StuartA

• Onwards... to Mars...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 02:41:50 pm »
Well, being honest, for me the initial appeal wasn't some noble desire or obligation to "contribute towards science". I'm a lifelong amateur astronomer and astronomy writer who has been in love with the night sky above and the universe around me for as long as I've been on this planet, and Galaxy Zoo offered me the chance to see beautiful things and drown myself in wonder. It was also pretty amazing to have the chance to see things no-one else had ever seen. And I have always had a thing about galaxies, you know? I look at a picture of a galaxy and it just screams out to me... I just feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up whenever I look at a galaxy because, just going by the statistics of numbers of stars with planets, number of planets potentially in a habitable zone etc, the chances are that there's at least one civilisation within its curving arms or diffuse star clouds.

Which is why, I think, the Zoo is now a global phenomenon, with tens of thousands of people all around the globe right this moment hunched over their keyboards, ruining their backs and getting RSI in their wrists thru clicking on galaxy image after galaxy image, classifying them as they go... There are literally wonders to be seen on the images, you just have to be patient and keep clicking away and sooner or later, after seeing dozens (or, if you're lucky, just a few) anonymous-looking blobs you'll see something... amazing... maybe a beautiful spiral galaxy, with curly swirly arms... maybe two colliding galaxies... maybe a galaxy teased out into a tadpole shape by an unseen companion... it's just addictive beyond words...

... and every galaxy could be someone else's Milky Way, and that's just the most incredible thing...

:o
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting. Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting". Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

CobraVerde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 03:00:02 pm »
This site puts me in my place as a human. Everyday we stress ourselves out for stupid trivial things. We worry about bills, our own well being and that of others we care for. We worry about the future, our finances, if we are even going to make it through the day, or if some disaster is going to wipe us off the face of the earth. We turn on the news and there is nothing but tragedy. Wars engulf every station, countries battle for supremecy, Religious sects dilute human understanding with constant propaganda. Yet even with all these difficulties and stresses in life, all is insignificant when compared to the greater universe. All of our problems are merely grains on sand the universal hourglass. Staring into space provides a sense of calm and peace. Darkness stretches for eternity yet it is illuminated with stars and galaxies along the way, the same way streetlights illuminate a darkend path. By observing these galaxies we are given the hope that there are others out there who share our dilemas and that there are bigger things out there than the daily problems we face. We as humans sometimes tend to place ourselves at the peak of natural evolution but observing these cilestial bodies we are immediately made aware that we are merely a speck in the background. This makes me appreciate my surroundings more.

Nightblizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 03:08:49 pm »
The reasons why I signed up here was that I'm simply very interested into astronomy, physics... and science in general :). At school I often held presentations about such topics (also about galaxies x) ) and yeah. I am also reading science-related magazines. The newest edition had an article about the "axis of evil" and, if you are Kate Land, about you x). There also was also a link to galaxyzoo: That's how I found you! I was lucky :) The day I signed up was the day you started the whole project. It's just so exciting to be part of a real scientific project :) . I already read so much. Black holes, stars, the theory of relativity (I especially love that topic :x), birth of stars ... and now I can actually see galaxies nobody has ever seen before. I just love this website! :)
... but the sun is still shining

looshkinobi

• Raahhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 03:17:27 pm »
So, so, so pretty.  Even the far away pixelly ones.  And very occasionally you get dealt an absolute cracker.  Marvelous!

Wosret

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 03:42:46 pm »
  • I can contribute to an interesting and ambitious research project
  • it's fun
  • I get to see breathtaking views
  • couch potato universe surfing is just plain cool

These sum it up for me. It's JUST SO COOL! ;D
"This [funerary offering] is the breath of the mouth, excellent for the noble dead! It is nothing wearisome. You shall be an imperishable star, a star in 'She-of-a-thousand-(shining)-souls.'" - from the stela of Nebipusenwosret (Middle Kingdom, Parkinson translation)

Pat

• Curiosity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:41 pm »
Ever since I was a child and I was standing near the television to see the first moonwalk I have had an interest in space exploration. And now almost 50 years old I have not lost that awe and wonder of what is out there. Thanks so very very much (although my husband is now very sorry for telling me about your site) for letting me take part and to see some of the wonders that are out there. It has been years since I have looked through a telescope, but none I ever owned or used could see things as well as this. Thanks!!!
Pat

I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe  

Pharun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 04:01:40 pm »
All the reasons that I have been doing it have been posted. But for me I think the biggest reason is wanting to find really cool looking galaxies.
My Science/Technology Blog: www.chrisstevens.wordpress.com

CygnusA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »
All said above, but there is one more thing which attracted me (maybe more trivial in comparison to galaxies) -- getting to know, at least a little, some fans and professionals in GalaxyZoo community.

Out of curiosity -- when the project was launched? I learned about it in non scientific newspaper!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:14:33 pm by CygnusA »

Pharun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 04:33:32 pm »
Same here, I found out about it from the article on slashdot.
My Science/Technology Blog: www.chrisstevens.wordpress.com

BunnyBB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 04:47:25 pm »
I first read about this project 18th May - Chris's weblog offered a sneak preview...

"It doesn't matter if it Feels good. What matters is if it's True."

Carl Sagan. May 3 1996.