Author Topic: About this board  (Read 57923 times)

stealth raptor

• Also does Barrel Rolls
    • View Profile
Re: About this board
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 05:05:10 pm »
It allows me to put forth my knowledge of the universe in a helpful way, it contributes to an important scientific study, and is a lot of fun!

People like you are the reason people like me take medication!

Reality is merely an illusion.  -Albert Einstein

Kamisha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 05:19:10 pm »
As a dyed in the wool science fiction addict from the age of 7 when I was introduced to H.G. Wells space has always fascinated me.  I have always had a daft dream of seeing galaxies from the bridge of a space ship. OK, OK I admit to being a Star Trek fan too <<hangs head in shame>> and I cried watching Close Encounters because I so wanted to go with them at the end, this fantastic site has given me the nearest to that dream I'm ever going to get.

I can only echo everything Paolo says, especally "couch potato universe surfing is just plain cool"  ;D

Mercure

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 05:31:51 pm »
Its nice to be apart of something Big like this.
And also Knowing we Contribute in some way also is gratifying

yellowmagic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 05:53:21 pm »
"What would you like to do when you grow up?"

"Be an astronomer"

Well, I jumped the rails a long time ago: thank you for giving me glimpse of where they're heading, again.

bad1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 06:01:55 pm »
Before I even started to learn much about the world around me (I was around 4) I gazed into the night sky and saw the magnificence the universe has to offer. I have been an avid fan of astronomy ever since. With Galaxy Zoo I am able to contribute, how ever little it may be, to add more wisdom about the universe and to see things that no one has ever seen before. Just like looking into a telescope for the first time and realizing that what I am seeing is really “OUT” there.

Bruce D.

frogwithtoes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 06:16:25 pm »
When I first heard about this project, I decided to have a go for many of the same reasons others have already stated - aiding, even in a small way, scientific research; learning more about galaxies; etc. Once I started, I found I was hooked - it's like an online version of scratch-offs. What'll I see next?! Scratch-off galaxies, how can you lose? Other than sleep, maybe.

rbpeake

• View Profile
Why I Joined
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 06:21:28 pm »
I like contributing to scientific research via the Internet, and have been involved with distributed computing projects like BOINC for a number of years.

I have loved astronomy all of my life, and follow the latest discoveries online and in the popular press.  We live in a wondrous age of discovery unlike any other. 

I love the aesthetic beauty of galaxies and the universe in general.  The universe continually surprises me with its unexpected beauty.

This project gives me the opportunity to contribute to an area of science I love, and I get the chance to see galaxies that no one has seen before (certainly not me!).    :)

starspy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 06:47:58 pm »
I love the fact that humans can beat computers at image processing (for this task,anyway), plus every now and then I get a real stunner of an image  :)

Trevor Watts

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 06:52:33 pm »
We have been overwhelmed by the awesome response we have had to this
project. We feel like we've really captured people's imaginations with
Galaxy Zoo, and we'd like to know why.

Please leave us feedback here about why you are taking part. We hope that
what we learn from you can be helpful to future projects like ours.

As a child I was fascinated by both geology and astronomy, but went for the first of these as a career. Now it's time to renew acquaintance with the second. To sit at home in front of the monitor and look across space and time at galaxies that no-one has ever seen before is awesome. There they are, silent evidence. They don't explain themselves. What are they for? There are so many spiral galaxies like our own that chances are there is life somewhere out there. Where did matter and energy come from in the first place, anyway? How can something have been created from nothing? Oh, the wonderment of it all . . .

Jonathan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 07:28:39 pm »
We have been overwhelmed by the awesome response we have had to this
project. We feel like we've really captured people's imaginations with
Galaxy Zoo, and we'd like to know why.

Please leave us feedback here about why you are taking part. We hope that
what we learn from you can be helpful to future projects like ours.

Many of the objects may never before have been seen by humans!  The sheer wonder of the Universe makes this enough of an incentive, even without the knowledge that this is contributing to genuine scientific research.

Thank you for the opportunity to see such beautiful objects!

NNM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 08:03:47 pm »
I just love space, astronomy, trying to imagine the size of these things and the size of the universe...
Making my own theories about stuff...
And my goal in life was to be a programmer making simulations of galaxy evolution and the universe itself, instead I'm "stuck" making webapps for a large oil company i don't particularly respect... (I despise it actually, hehe)
Galaxy zoo is a nice escape to relax my brain after work...

clsazekiel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:32 pm »
I live in the middle of a large city (Houston, space city!) and so seeing even a couple stars at night is amazing, but I grew up in the middle of no where (Los Alamos, New Mexico) and I have fond memories of city organized 'black out' nights where they turned off all the street lights so everyone could go star gazing on clear summer nights. Local clubs brought out their telescopes and showed all the kids the planets that they could find for us.

These pictures are beautiful! Being able to look at them and sorting them is a fantastic break from the every day, and I love the rare excitement of seeing two galaxies merging together, wow!
Sometimes coming across something really amazing like this -> 587736941444530247 is all I need to make me want to put in another half hour of sorting!

Halibut

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 09:11:48 pm »
Your childhood with real blackouts in New Mexico sounds amazing... I've always lived in London and there's no way they're going to black out 7 million people, which is a shame.  You're really lucky to have had that experience :)

Hexmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 09:41:52 pm »
The addiction comes from the fact that the next picture - possibly incredibly beautiful, and perhaps a scientific milestone as well - is just one click away.

That a simple netizen can make a difference in actual research is of course why I signed on in the first place, and it feels awesome to watch the raw stuff, straight from a telescope, but the main reason I find it difficult to break free from this classification business have to be the one above.

Pharun

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:39 pm »
organized black outs, that sounds amazing. I too live in the middle of a city so have to go extremely far to get to somewhere were I can see anything in the sky.
My Science/Technology Blog: www.chrisstevens.wordpress.com