Author Topic: About this board  (Read 58454 times)

Jewl

• View Profile
Re: About this board
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:53 pm »

I get a chance to see some really beautiful (and sometimes totally bizarre) objects out there, plus it's nice to have a chance to contribute to research in however small a way.

mdb

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 10:26:47 pm »
There's a simple reason why people have reacted this way. It's fun.

I'm sure most everyone has a different convoluted perspective on this, but it all boils down to that. Personally, I'm enjoying scratching an itch that I didn't have the patience to scratch years ago. I'm enjoying sharing the oppurtunity to 'explore' these galaxies with my friends, and really enjoying sharing the strangest and most beautiful of these images...not because some magazine editor or P.R. flub thought it looked nice, but because we have gone in and dug them out ourselves.

But if you want to know why this project has become something of a compulsion to me, you'll get a slightly different answer. The Tuesday before GZ opened it's doors officially, I heard about this project on a podcast while I was at work. I snuck  a quick half hour in at the computer at work, signed up, went through the tutorial, and thought to myself 'this may be the coolest thing, ever.'

When I got home from work, I sat down and fired up GZ. My five year old son saw the first couple images, and asked me what I was doing. I explained to him the very basics, and he asked if he could do some with me. So, up into my lap he jumped and we sat here for an hour looking at things that few people, if anyone (and at that point I'm sure we got some firsts,) had ever seen. We talked a bit about how stars are born, the difference between planets and stars, and I indulged in my never ending quest to teach my son some understanding of gravity and it's interactions.

When he'd finally had enough for one night, he looked at me and asked, "Daddy, can we play the galaxy game again tomorrow?" I told him, "Of course, but it's not a game, it's science." After a couple of stunned seconds of silence, he said, "We're doing SCIENCE?" with the sort of excitement that most people lose after they 'grow up.'

Obviously, this IS the coolest thing. Ever.

-><- derek

Mark OConnell

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »
Plane and simple... I GET TO DO REAL SCIENCE!! Yeah!

Not a test
Not my computer doing it for me.

But me contributing, which also brings me to why we keep asking if we can fix our blunders. We'd like our data to be the best it can be.

So not only do I like contributing but I want to contribute at my best.

I like to add what MDB wrote just above. My 7 year old sat with me too. Yeah the coolest thing ever.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:50:23 pm by Mark OConnell »

TrexterZiam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 11:21:13 pm »
1.  I get to learn something.  Learning something new each day has always been a lifelong objective.  I take that qualification test every three days or so to see how much better I am getting.  I've improved with each test score; but, still have a long way to go before I can ace it.  Edit: TADA! ACED it!  This forum helped a LOT.
2.  I get to help a cause.
3.  The sciences have always attracted me; and astronomy is one of the few last frontiers I had not previously touched.
4.  You even allow neophytes like me who cannot yet be considered amateur astronomers!
5.  I'm awed in the sheer power of the galaxies.  Previously, storms and other natural disasters awed me.  These are phenomenally more powerful.
6.  Now, with the forum and the "My Galaxies" sections, I love this site even more!

Thank you all!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:06:18 pm by TrexterZiam »

DJM2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 12:11:33 am »
My reasons are pretty much the same as with anyone else that has posted here. I get to contribute sto something in my favorite field os Science. I get to see cool images, and learn things as well. It is just a great project.

mecurtin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 12:23:46 am »
This project is awesome, in every sense of the word. Like others, I have a lifelong love of science, astronomy, & observation, and getting to be the first human to actually lay eyes on a distant galaxy is pretty much a dream come true.
mecurtin

Ingmar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 01:47:10 am »
Started out with all the same reasons everyone else already posted.

But I believe there is one very strong and basic reason why I (and maybe others, too) keep going for hundreds and thousands more, even though it should get boring - even though we should go to bed.

Well it never gets boring because every time I think "ok, thats it, one more and then I go to bed", I betray myself. I wonder what would the next one be like. Would it finally be a real stunner? When is the real stunner going to show? The last 50 have been "oh so boring". So where's the next great galaxy? "I bet its the next one, lets see". and so I click one more, and one more, and one more....

Its a terribly basic instinct of curiosity!

PS: and then when I get a real cool one, do I go to bed?? NOOO! Its my burning eyes that drag me away.

TrexterZiam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 01:53:42 am »
Ingmar hit that one on the head too!

But; eventually you hit that "log out" button, the screen changes and shows you the next one you WOULD have had and WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH!  It's a stunner!  So, you log back in and boom, it changes the page on you again and  :-[ the stunner is all gone.

Wosret

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 02:53:25 am »
That's why I never log out, but just close the browser when I get to a boring orange blob. ;)
"This [funerary offering] is the breath of the mouth, excellent for the noble dead! It is nothing wearisome. You shall be an imperishable star, a star in 'She-of-a-thousand-(shining)-souls.'" - from the stela of Nebipusenwosret (Middle Kingdom, Parkinson translation)

speedymarie

• Just call me Speedy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 04:59:30 am »
I guess I'm like man of the others. I've always been fascinated with space. On weekends in high school, my classmates went to parties, and I drove out into the country to stargaze. I keep a coffee table book of Hubble images. Before starting this project, my desktop image was a recent image of Saturn. But I love all the physical sciences - I look for fossils in riverbeds and examine rock layers in cliffs. I watch documentaries on the animals "before the dinosaurs."

Anyway, I'm one of those girls who had bad teachers, and was convinced that she wasn't good at math. So I took as little as I had to, then dove into the humanities. I didn't take calculus or physics in high school, and thus in college, did little in math or science beyond the basic requirements, even though I was interested. The math aspect of science confound me, but the observational aspects of the sciences entrance me. Now, as an adult, I'm struggling to learn what I missed, so that I can understand and appreciate things just like this.

So that's the science geek in me. But when I first read about this, I was also fascinated by the idea of getting to see images that almost no one had seen before, at the idea of looking at every galaxy and wondering if someone was looking back, at the chance to wander into something breathtaking and turn an ordinary day into something magical.

gcbosma

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 11:02:05 am »
astronomy has always been a dormant hobby of mine.... Used to go out on cold clear winter nights with binoculars, a star chart and a flashlight...
I have finally moved to a house where it might be worth my while to buy a decent telescope...
but funding is limited, sorry to say... :(

so this site is an awesome opportunity to pick the habit back up and see some stuff no one else ever saw!! well... until a week ago, that is.... Man this is going fast!!  :D

hecate

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 11:47:32 am »
It is not only addictive, it also stimulates my imagination. Just think about it, so many galaxies, so many stars, it's overwhelming.

ray_dk

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 02:22:10 pm »
I'm an out of work pilot, so doing this to take my mind of the depressing debt i owe. Besides i've always been a sci-fi fan so studying galaxies is still fascinating for me.
Pilot Looking for Job.

Jaina

• ~Jaya~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 05:13:03 pm »
I'm surprised at how many share my story: I've loved astronomy since I can remember, but I never understood the math part of it (calculus makes my brain hurt...) and so chose to pursue my other great love, literature.  Bit still, I remember when I was just learning to read, I would steal my dad's star book (H. A. Ray's "The Stars" IIRC, but it's been ages) and just marvel at it.  Stargazing was the best pastime ever, and I would sneak outside in August to watch the Perseid meteor shower and get in trouble for not going to bed on time.  I still love to stargaze, but I don't make it out of town and away from the lights often enough to do that much anymore, either.

When I found out about Galaxy Zoo, I didn't even hesitate.  Even if I can't be a professional astronomer like I once wanted to, I can pretend.  I can live that dream I had, and maybe be a little bit less of a disappointment to the 12-year-old aspiring astronomer I used to be.  And I get to see some of the most breathtakingly beautiful images in the entire universe. What more could I ask for?
The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky displays his handiwork. (Ps. 19:1)

adsp

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 05:43:28 pm »
I have recently started (months ago) to read more about astronomy. I guess it's the urge to understand the world around me. It was BBC news website introducing Galaxy Zoo to me.

Adrian