Author Topic: How do you look up a galaxy without its reference number?  (Read 6734 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How do you look up a galaxy without its reference number?
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:44:59 pm »
As we ask everyone to post the reference number, in an ideal world this wouldn't happen. However, it was asked on another thread by those brave souls willing to search for whatever data they can on any galaxy, and Gumbosea very kindly posted the following:

Here is how I look up an ID number if I've only got a posted picture to work with. I use Mozilla Firefox as a browser, but I sure a similar sequence can be worked out for Windows IE.

1) Click the QUOTE or REPLY button to get the 'Post Reply' box.

2 ) Scroll down to the picture of interest beneath the 'post reply' box, point to it, then 'right click'. Select 'copy image location', then left click.

3) Paste the image location in 'post reply' text box using 'ctrl-v'. You now have  rather intimidating url to edit, but its not hard; just delete everything before 'ra=xxx', and everything after the 'dec=yyy' portion. You now have the object coordinates.

4) Paste/type the following before the 'ra=xxx', without the apostrophes enclosing "url " (the enclosing apostrophes disable the hyperlink so I can give you these instructions within THIS post reply text box):
['url'=http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?

** TIP: I maintain a small textfile with the SDSS url prefixes to allow fast cut/paste operations.
     VERY USEFUL. Alternately, you can open a 2nd browser and goto some previous page
     which has the right prefix (use your history sidebar for this). ***

5) Paste/type the following after the 'dec=yyy', without the enclosing "url" apostrophes:
]xxxx[/'url']. The 'xxxx' is just a dummy name which you'll paste over later with anything you want.

You should have something with looks likes this, without enclosing "url" apostrophes:

['url'=http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?ra=xxx&dec=yyy]xxxx[/'url']

6) Hit the 'Preview' button; if all things are correct, you now should have a highlighted hyperlink to the appropriate SDSS page.

7) Click the link to goto the SDSS page. Look for the 'objid = ' field near the top of the page to get the object id. Copy just the number portion with your mouse, then use the green back arrow to return to your 'post reply' page. I prefer to enable 'new pages being assigned new tabs' in Firefox to avoid using the back arrow, see Options... under the Firefox 'Tools' pulldown. You can now do whatever you like with the ID. Here is my preference:

a) Paste the object id number over the 'xxxx' placeholder to create a customized linkname.
b) Highlight the  'ra=xxx?dec=yyy' portion, the type 'id=' to overwrite it, then 'ctrl-v' to add
the object id number after the equal sign. You should have something that looks like this, again without "url" apostrophes:

['url'=http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=zzzz]zzzz[/'url']

You now have a coordinate free hyperlink to the desired SDSS page.

Carol A

• View Profile
Re: How do you look up a galaxy without its reference number?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:03 pm »

Alice,

How do you look up a galaxy posting that only has the reference number but no picture or link to the specific SDSS site?  I'm sure this is explained somewhere, but I just haven't seen it. By the way, do you only need us to post the reference number, or do you want the link to the SDSS site as well? I see some postings with both; others with only the reference number.
We are stardust come alive--and somehow conscious of being alive.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:07:20 pm »
Carol, this isn't my strong point so I can't remember offhand how you look up the galaxy by the reference number - I will try to look this up today but lots more going on. About the posting, just the reference number is fine; the link is optional.  :)

This was before I quite knew what I was doing. I'll update.

Right-click the galaxy picture. Choose "copy image location", or get it off Properties if you use Internet Explorer, to get a very long address, like this: http://casjobs.sdss.org/ImgCutoutDR7/getjpeg.aspx?ra=127.85746662&dec=40.95621066&scale=0.39612&width=512&height=512&opt=&query=

Now go into an SDSS page, like this one: http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?ra=127.85746662&dec=40.95621066

You'll see the option "Search by: ra, dec". Click that.

Now, in the long long address, you'll notice: http://casjobs.sdss.org/ImgCutoutDR7/getjpeg.aspx?ra=127.85746662&dec=40.95621066&scale=0.39612&width=512&height=512&opt=&query=

so copy those numbers into the "ra" and "dec" boxes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:22:14 pm by Alice »

Carol A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:17:32 pm »
Whew...I feel better that it's not so obvious to everyone. No need to rush to get the answer, but with so many people only posting reference numbers, it will really be helpful to know how to see what they post.

Thanks, Alice, for taking such good care of us "newbies."
We are stardust come alive--and somehow conscious of being alive.

wwwwise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:01 pm »
Carol..the easiest way I've found to look up reference numbers is (because I always have the Galaxy Analysis Page open) click on Galaxy Reference for the current galaxy you are analyzing.  Then, copy and paste the reference number in question in place of the reference number in your browsers address bar.  Then go.

clueless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 08:07:42 pm »
  So, where is the reference number please?
  Classify galaxy, and there the little darling sits, with all of the standard questions.  But the reference number? 
  "Click on Galaxy reference for the current galaxy you are analyzing..." I do not see the Galaxy reference.
  "I always have the Galaxy Analysis page open."  Yikes!  Where is that!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 08:17:01 pm »
Hi clueless :) Have you checked the top post?

What you basically need to do is right-click on the image, and get its URL. (Or "image address" or "image location", depending on your browser.) You then need to find the ra and dec co-ordinates in that address. Go into any random SDSS page, and click the "search by ra and dec" option. That will take you to the galaxy.

We don't expect you to post the reference number if you're using GZ2, so don't worry too much. :)

Update: I have just updated one of my ancient posts in here. ;D

Are you using GZ2? If so, you won't see a reference number. The "galaxy analysis page" is the page you're in when you're classifying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:21:16 pm by Alice »

Geoff

• The history of astronomy is a history of receding horizons. - Hubble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 08:20:48 pm »
Hi clueless and welcome to the Zoo.

Before I can answer your questions I need to know if you are classifying with the original GalaxyZoo-1 or the new GalaxyZoo-2?

In the original classification, the reference number is the orange-coloured number on the top right of the classification page.

In the new GZ-2 classification, there is no reference number currently. When the final version of GZ-2 is released, the reference number will be available to you after you have classified an object.

Hope this helps a little.

You could try posting in this thread where there is a lot of help for "newbies": http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=271742.0
  Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the prospect is staggering!- Arthur C. Clarke

clueless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 08:31:10 pm »
Thanks.  It occurred to me that the post dates were 2007, so it must be zoo1, and I am looking on zoo2. 

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 03:06:27 am »
Stupid question - I should know the answer :D - but is there a way to get the galaxy's AHZ number with its image URL?

For example, http://zoo-hst.s3.amazonaws.com/13042317.jpg

becomes

which is AHZ10005dh. (I got that from here.) I realise this may be one of the cases that it's the point that we shouldn't find the AHZ number, so that we rely on our eyes . . . But if there is a way, can anyone let me know? :)

c_cld

• "In some fields, I am at home; in others we are fellow tourists" (Bill )
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:27 am »
Stupid question - I should know the answer :D - but is there a way to get the galaxy's AHZ number with its image URL?

For example, http://zoo-hst.s3.amazonaws.com/13042317.jpg
 But if there is a way, can anyone let me know?
Hi Alice,
The answer is on the OOTD of Jean  (look at when you quote it)  :P :P

[edit]  if you are eager to find it :   
 ;D recall http://www.galaxyzooforum.org/index.php?topic=277827.msg469863#msg469863 from Michael Parrish  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:03:47 pm by c_cld »

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »
Note to self: don't ask questions in the middle of the night. Thanks c_cld :D