Author Topic: Cats and Dogs (not forgetting other creatures and things animate or inanimate)  (Read 250510 times)

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There's been a bit of chat about domestic pets in the cafe recently. So what do you love cats or dogs?

Maybe neither or even other pets but it would be nice to know – they say that people are sometimes like their pets and vice versa. And if you have them what are they called and what do you like about them.

Sort of topical for a zoo ;)

Edit: So as not to exclude hamster owners or other pets owners, I've updated the header ;)

Edit: So as not to exclude anything really
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:02:39 pm by Infinity »

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Cats or Dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 02:24:20 pm »
Cats, by a mile.

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 02:29:10 pm »
Me too, I have one female called Ruby, I love their gentle grace and independent character. :)

Their night vision would be great for stargazing if they weren't too busy chasing mice and moths :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:44:46 pm by Infinity »

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 02:30:24 pm »
Unfortunately I am not allowed to keep pets in my flat. :(

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 02:31:12 pm »
:D Haha, so you did start that topic!

Well, I like cats AND dogs...

I grew up with a lot of pets... my cat, Dindy, stayed with my mom when I moved out almost a year ago. (She is to old to move). My German Sheppard, Janey, moved with me and now I share my apartment with her, and my guinea-pig called "Beer" (which does NOT mean the drink, we call that BIER in Dutch, BEER means BEAR ;D) and a couple of fish... and yes, they do have names too haha :)

Edit: hmm, I surely am glad I can keep pets in my flat :) maybe some fish for you Kevin? ;D

pluk

• serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:40:19 pm »
Save for the odd uninvited spider and such I have no pets whatsoever :) I think that on average, I'm too long and too often from home to be able to keep any pet responsibly (except for a few fish perhaps :))

I'm more of a cat-person though, that is, so long as they stay out of my garden 8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:44:19 pm by pluk »
We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run. - Roy Amara, engineer, futurist (b. 1925)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 03:33:47 pm »
Cats. Infinitely.

Cats are beautiful, graceful, intelligent, endearing, soft and gorgeous to the touch, hilariously yet perfectly dignified and generally just wonderfully full of strong character. They do just what they want. They won't do anything you want them to do. There were 2 cats in the flat I lived in in Spain and they became such good friends. You knew that every friendliness from them was 100% genuine. I respect cats. Dogs look up to you and do whatever they're told and will just take it if you're mean or you lie to them, and I find it hard to respect them. A cat would be a very honest and independent politician.

(Although those are extremes. People are the best - far more middling!)

I was named at the same time as my parents' cat, Dinah. It was my dad's idea, from Alice in Wonderland (Alice has a cat called Dinah). Sadly she was killed on the road before I grew up enough to get to know her.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 03:37:09 pm »
Alice, I agree on what you say about cats, totally.. but, about dogs... my dog has her own will too, but she will always be loyal to me. You can trust a dog completly (you cant say that about people)... besides that, my dog is a clown, she makes me laugh ;D

charcinders

• Per ardua ad hamster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 03:43:12 pm »
Maybe neither or even other pets but it would be nice to know – they say that people are sometimes like their pets and vice versa.

Any resemblance I may have to a hamster is purely superficial.  :)

My two roborovskis are called Betsy and Flossie. That's Betsy on the left, looking slightly worried.

I like cats, but I prefer all the emotional and social interaction you get with dogs. Plus, they give you an excuse to throw sticks in the park and roll on the floor. Plus they don't kill things for the hell of it, apart from those that are bred to kill by morons.
I get slightly annoyed by "cat people" and "dog people" who feel the need to explain to you why their particular preference is superior to the other. I have to say I have encountered more of the former than the latter though!
You want my reply? What was the question? I was looking at the Big Sky.

pluk

• serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 03:45:22 pm »
Speaking of cats and gardens, there's one in mine right now, but she a real cutie, young, playful, very inquisitive and shy :)
We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run. - Roy Amara, engineer, futurist (b. 1925)

Infinity

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 03:47:59 pm »
Any resemblance I may have to a hamster is purely superficial.  :)

lol ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 04:03:14 pm »
Alice, I agree on what you say about cats, totally.. but, about dogs... my dog has her own will too, but she will always be loyal to me. You can trust a dog completly (you cant say that about people)... besides that, my dog is a clown, she makes me laugh ;D

That is very true. I wish I could have one person on Earth who I could trust as much as a dog owner can trust their dog. But can that ever be?

I must get my old friend Erica to e-mail me back this poem I once sent her about dogs, it's great . . .

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 04:09:23 pm »
That would be nice indeed ;) and no, I don't think that can ever be, though I'm not a 'people hating' person (could that even be as a teacher?) :)

charcinders

• Per ardua ad hamster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 04:27:13 pm »
A cat would be a very honest and independent politician.

Nah, it would work for whoever gave it the best dinner.

...and I wouldn't vote for anyone who could be distracted by a ball of string.

...and if a cat were prime minister, it would want to dump all our toxic waste in France.  :P

You want my reply? What was the question? I was looking at the Big Sky.

GwydionM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 05:00:55 pm »
Cats are easier, they can roam free without getting into trouble.  Dogs are nicer, my family had one but he was run over on a quiet village road by some speed-freak on a motor scooter.