Author Topic: Finding information for your target object  (Read 14597 times)

emtpit

• View Profile
Re: Finding information for your target object
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 08:08:56 pm »
I don't know if anyone is currently monitoring this post, but... Geoff said

"First, from the main GalaxyZoo classification window, click on the orange “Galaxy Ref:” link on the right-hand side of the window."

I don't have a 'Galaxy ref:' link in the classification window. I've explored all of the tools, but I can only access them from the My Galaxys page. Unfortunately, a galaxy isn't available on that page until after I've classified it, so I can't use any of the tools to assist in classification. I've had several occations when it would have been useful to be able to access the tools in order to classify a galaxy but I can't for some reason. Am I missing something?

Pat

• Curiosity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 08:13:57 pm »
Hi emtpit and welcome to the zoo. :)  What Geoff was refering to was Zoo 1. In Zoo 2 you get the Sdss reference number after you have classified your galaxy. It will be located in My Galaxies.

I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe  

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Zeus2007

• OotD posters
  • Cheers to those beauties out there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »
Hi Alice, you know I found out something I didn't know about in the new ref guide.  I'll aply that knowledge and see how it goes.  Ah I guess I should mention what I found out, well it's about the blue borders and allow you to travel around...I don't know if it still works, I guess it does because it's in the modern guide.  I don't know, anyway I'll definately be checking that one out! ;D
"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step"
Lao Tzu, Ancient Chinese Philosopher.

jsb16

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 01:52:16 am »
Is there an easy way to check if a particular object has been imaged by the big space observatories (Hubble, Chandra, etc.) and/or the VLA?

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 01:55:34 am »
The best way to do it is go to the "full SDSS" page, and scroll down the pale blue sidebar on the left until you get to "NED search". That will tell you if the galaxy has a catalogue number. If it has an NGC or ARP number, chances are Hubble or Chandra might have taken a look at it. You can then use that number to search their websites. A similar search on Astronomy Picture of the Day is also highly recommended :)

jsb16

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 03:28:53 am »
The best way to do it is go to the "full SDSS" page, and scroll down the pale blue sidebar on the left until you get to "NED search". That will tell you if the galaxy has a catalogue number. If it has an NGC or ARP number, chances are Hubble or Chandra might have taken a look at it. You can then use that number to search their websites. A similar search on Astronomy Picture of the Day is also highly recommended :)

Is the opposite also true: if a galaxy doesn't have an NGC or ARP number, it hasn't been looked at by Hubble or Chandra?

mrgoodwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:00 pm »
Is the opposite also true: if a galaxy doesn't have an NGC or ARP number, it hasn't been looked at by Hubble or Chandra?

No, far from it. The space telescopes have looked at a lot of the smaller and fainter galaxies; conversely, they haven't taken pictures even of all of the NGC and Arp galaxies yet. (There are over 300 of the latter and many thousands of the former, after all.) When *I* want to find out whether Hubble/Chandra/Spitzer/etc. images exist for a galaxy, I just Google its catalog number; any really good pictures are usually pretty high in the search results.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 12:39:34 pm »
Good point mrgoodwraith - I don't always have much success with googling its catalogue number, but just sometimes that is more effective than going to a specific place! :)

scottv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 11:50:47 pm »
For any reasonably bright object, googling the catalog number has become very effective.  Here's a sample...
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&sa=1&q=%22NGC+253
You do get some mundane results, but more astro images are online than we can see in a lifetime.  Just remember to put quotes around your search term, as in "NGC 253".  Otherwise you're searching for anything with NGC, OR anything with 253 in it.

Once you have a "classic" catalog number (NGC, Arp, MGC, M, etc), you have lots of options!

For galaxies, the best central reference is NED.  It was mentioned in this thread -- you can get to it after Exploring an object on the SDSS page.  But you can also feed it an object name directly:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/forms/byname.html

Near the bottom of the results page is a count of images, observations, etc.

The best astro catalog access is at Simbad:
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-fid
From there you can get more info than you'd believe, including links to articles mentioning each object.  Among the search results you can get to the Aladin java app, which can query hundreds of catalogs and sky surveys and merge all the info together seamlessly.

On the other hand, I doubt there are many objects within the range of a 10" scope that have not been imaged at 10" quality.  The Palomar Digital Survey comes to mind -- covering the whole sky in much higher detail than any backyard scope could do.  Here's one way to get to it:
http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/

= scott
My astronomy photos & experiments
http://howmanystars.com

marcseman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 04:57:34 pm »
i do not have an orange Galaxy ref: link on my classification page  please advise

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 06:58:44 pm »
i do not have an orange Galaxy ref: link on my classification page  please advise

It's  not on your classification page, but on My Galaxies. Does this help? :)

marcseman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 08:36:53 pm »
"First, from the main GalaxyZoo classification window, click on the orange “Galaxy Ref:” link on the right-hand side of the window. This will open a new window, known as the “SDSS” window, also called “SkyServer Object Explorer” window."

This was ambiguous, and yes now that you point that out, I knew that already,and thank you

eplossl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 06:12:59 pm »
So my problem here is that, although it is possible to get the details from "My Galaxies", you can't do that until *AFTER* you have classified the galaxy.  The problem is, if I want to see the zoomed-out image or something so that I can get more information, I can't do that until after I classify, but I need the additional data to be able to classify.  How do I get this before classifying the galaxy?

weezerd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:57 pm »
Hello eplossl; welcome to the forum!

The simple answer is you don't!
The zoo system has been designed so that statistical results are obtained based on people's own instincts and gut feelings. You are requested to categorize the samples based on how you feel. I can assure you that there are zooites who have been clicking for two years who still feel unsure about their choices, and come on here asking for back-up opinions. The system is designed to cope with that.

So go with your own impressions, and after a while you'll become as adept as the best of us, and we all feel the same!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:51:29 pm by weezerd »
Oh let me just a moment stay
where time is not and angels play the paeans of the galaxies;
then speed the stardust on its flight
to change dread darkness into light, cold chaos into ecstasy!