Author Topic: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo?  (Read 53061 times)

fairtlough

• View Profile
Re: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 07:32:49 pm »
This is my first post and I thought I'd let you know how I'm finding the Zoo and the Forum.
The way the Forum was organised was a bit confusing at first because it took me a while to find where the different threads are and to decide which was the appropriate one for asking questions (which is what a newbie/first poster is likely to want to do I think).  Hope I've found the right thread first time off!

So here is my question: sometimes there is no red shift data on an object to be classified, and yet neighbours have distances to the object.  I've not yet found an example, but if a neighbour had a red shift, you could work out the distance to your object.  In any case, how can it be that the distance of an object to a neighbour is known but its red shift is not recorded?  Surely it is more difficult to compute relative distances than "absolute" ones? :)  Forgive my ignorance of astronomy if the answer is obvious...

fairflow.

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 07:35:56 pm »
So here is my question: sometimes there is no red shift data on an object to be classified, and yet neighbours have distances to the object.  I've not yet found an example, but if a neighbour had a red shift, you could work out the distance to your object.  In any case, how can it be that the distance of an object to a neighbour is known but its red shift is not recorded?  Surely it is more difficult to compute relative distances than "absolute" ones? :)  Forgive my ignorance of astronomy if the answer is obvious...

fairflow.

welcome to teh zoo fairflow! i think the distances shown in neighbours relates to arc minutes (so distance as seen in a 2d pic rather than how far away they are, if that makes sense), so it is different rfom redshift. Hope it helps :)

njtm

• The Wonder Down Under :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 09:39:47 am »
Welcome too fairflow and what a good question too! ;D

fairtlough

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 01:12:32 pm »

welcome to teh zoo fairflow! i think the distances shown in neighbours relates to arc minutes (so distance as seen in a 2d pic rather than how far away they are, if that makes sense), so it is different rfom redshift. Hope it helps :)

yes, indeed it does and it shows how important it is to have access to units when you are a beginner in a field like this!
thanks very much for enlightening me :-)

hrobbins

• View Profile

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 08:49:30 pm »
Hi hrobbins! Isn't that the article described in the "Latest News from Galaxy Zoo" board? Thanks for posting it though, it's great to see how well known we're getting!

By the way, slightly old news now, but Kevin and I liked the ideas about changing the names of a couple of the threads in the "Welcome" area. As you see, there's only one we really ask people to read before posting - the guidelines one - and hopefully that's clear now. The others are for when you need them!

ezziboo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 03:26:20 am »
found out about Galaxy Zoo on the seti@home forum  ;D ;D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 02:31:07 pm »
Hi Ezziboo! By the question, I mean "Is Galaxy Zoo OK? Too hard? Welcoming enough? Etc?" Though there is a topic somewhere about how we came across it in the first place . . . heavens, I can't even remember if it was in the Cafe or the What Makes Galaxy Zoo Interesting board!! Hideous shortfall.  :( ;)

ezziboo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 04:17:37 pm »
GZ is very welcoming and user-friendly...forum threads contain excellent info for amateurs (like me!).  Last night, I went back to the GZ home page and re-read the FAQ's, The Science, etc., and was able to absorb more info after having classified over 10K galaxies.

How do I feel about Galaxy Zoo?   :D :D :D :D=absolutely delighted!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 05:51:30 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

quarkspin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 10:07:21 pm »
It all sounds great and very worthwhile, Thanks to all esp Alice.

I still feel like a newbie:)
Actually I had no idea how the whole thing worked and was totally surprised to find myself a - hero or something:)

I was thinking earlier today that maybe we should have a 'try it out' site for guests, but maybe that should be for so called 'newbies'.

-Go on it is really a very friendly place to visit.

Q
aka amatuer technophobe

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 10:16:35 pm »
I'm very glad I started this thread. And it's a delight to see that everyone who's posted in here DOES feel they're being greeted really nicely - so little of that is my work; so much is that of the army of lovely people who come day after day and are always there to help out.

I'm keeping a very close eye on this thread as you can imagine. We've only made one concrete change as a result of it so far - a bit of name changing up at the top. Namely, the area called "Please read this before posting!" turned into "Threads to help you find your way around", which is what they were intended. So there's only one thread, the guidelines, which we do ask people to skim over first.

I like the idea of the "try it out" site but unfortunately, after consultation, we don't think it's feasible. What I now do, when I'm writing to people to help them suss image posting, is to encourage them to experiment by having a go in their personal message, which they can send to themselves or me. Nobody's done that yet to my knowledge, so it may not be very helpful!

All feedback still welcome for how to make this place easier and friendlier. I still remember my own first day here - my awareness that I was supposed to be moderating this place and feeling quite out of my depth because I didn't even know how to post pictures!  :D

mallory weiss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 10:28:17 pm »
... there is a topic somewhere about how we came across it in the first place . . . heavens, I can't even remember if it was in the Cafe or the What Makes Galaxy Zoo Interesting board!! Hideous shortfall.  :( ;)
It's in teh Cafe (titled How did you find the Galaxy Zoo?) - I started it a while ago because I thought it'd be interesting/useful for the zookeepers how people discover the Zoo... now hopelessly buried. At the time I was somewhat of a newbie myself, and I remember that one (but only one!) person not very nicely pointed out that such thread already existed... I went searching for it, but never found anything, which means it must have been not titled very clearly. If a similar topic existed before I think it should have been made sticky because I still think it's useful and interesting.  ;) BTW when I saw the title of your topic, I also thought it's about "stumbling across" GZ - until I opened and read it  :D
"At least one child was removed because its image was too similar to a supposedly different child." - SDSS

Luigi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 04:24:22 am »
Just wondering, How or when does one stop being a newbie
Cheers  Pete.

njtm

• The Wonder Down Under :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 05:16:35 am »
You'll find out in about 6 more posts (that you make). :D