Author Topic: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo?  (Read 51378 times)

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 01:45:04 pm »
or if you cant wait that long, i think theresa a link in the ref library :D

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2008, 02:03:55 pm »
Just wondering, How or when does one stop being a newbie
Cheers  Pete.

Second heading down in the FAQ Reference Library at the top.  :)

Galaxy Hunters Inc

• Another day. another Galaxy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 02:54:50 pm »
I found Galaxyzoo after listening to a radio interview on the Abc in Aust. I,m 47 and have always had an interest in science  but I’m a full time cabinetmaker. IE not very scientific. At first I was only cataloguing the galaxies. But after 3or 400 classifications when you find that special galaxy or object you come over to the forums to post your baby so it doesn’t get lost right? Then as you look around you’re a bit overwhelmed by all the options. I still think it’s a fabulously constructed site. And personally feel welcomed. Ta Everyone!
1st    idea is to perhaps have an area where the first 2 to 5 posts of a newbie can only be posted and perhaps some moderators can provide feedback and move them to the appropriate area. (I think some might only do a few postings feel like they are not getting much feedback and not bother again.
2nd    idea is to have a reply to button on each posting. Often I find it difficult to follow who is replying to what.  (Yes I know, I’m as thick as a short plank)
3rdly    as for double posting sometimes you see something  in one topic i.e. your best spirals and then you realise you have a brilliant 3 arm spiral so you think I’ll tuck it in there as well just in case no one else notices.
Also when you do a search it is best to do it from the home page so as to get the whole site and not from inside the topic. Right?
4th    idea I had was after a newbie classifies their 1st 200 they get hauled in for a second test or class with a few more pointers as to what to look for. After reading around the forums now I am starting to learn that I have classified heaps of ellipticals wrong.
And maybe after 1500 (we’re stuck to the site now) or so call us back again to do a very basic lesson on those sdss charts on how to tell red shifts and things like that.
Hey I’m not writing the program just tossing up some ideas. LOL
Sorry guys I talk to much. ::)

adamprimus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 09:13:32 am »
It was with some trepidation :-\ that I first started posting on the Forum, but within minutes of my 1st post I had responses with friendly greetings from other members :); quite refreshing after the trolling & flaming one finds on some other forums, especially given the diversity of the membership here. I have been given technical advice from experts in the field, and shared the odd joke or two ;D. GZ is clearly more than a scientific study project & I am always proselytizing on your behalf ;)!
 I guess the project has a finite lifetime - how long do you think it will be running?

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

atinahs

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 01:29:27 pm »
Hi, I just saw this thread and wanted to say that I felt quite welcome.  I don't have much spare time to analyze galaxies or post on the forum, but I do enjoy taking part when I can.  I've found that people were surprisingly nice.  I do get a little overwhelmed from time to time, but I'm new at this, so I guess that can be expected.  Great job guys!
Shanita
AtinahsshanitA

The Alien

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 11:08:51 am »
I've been here for some time and for the last 2 weeks, I've been more active because I had 2 weeks of Christsmas Holidays. Anyway, a couple of suggestions/impressions I have are from the time that I first set foot on the GZF.

RE First impressions:
- When I first entered this place, the GZF was not what I expected: barred galaxies, quasars, globular clusters...  :o ??? All I knew from GZ were whether a galaxy is elliptical or spiral (CW/ACW), Star/unknown or merging. All these new terms were very confusing. I got the idea that GZ and GZF were 2 places that had nothing to do with eachother. Luckily I saw threads made by new users and knew then that I was at the right address :)

- Direct your flow. Change the line below the galaxy analysis:
If you find something REALLY unusual or strange and it does not look like anything in the how to get started section or in the FAQ, then post it up on the Forum or drop us an email with the reference number.
Redirect users that click on Forum to a thread on this forum that first of all welcomes any new users and then clearly explains to new users to <linked>search the forum for the objectID</linked> to find out if it's been posted before and secondly, give them a link to the <linked>main index</linked> if they prefer that instead. Make those links bold, in bigger font size and center them on the page if you want more impact without necessarily sounding authorative.
There are already threads that tell users to search first etc., but they're not the "Entry Points" of new users, so there's little chance of being noticed :) If new users enter the forum, they see the main index. They think they've seen a very weird object in the Galaxy analysis that deserves everyone's attention. So where do they post it? Exactly, in the Stunning sights or Weird and wonderful board. I don't think there are many new users who first decide to go by each board one by one and read the stickies :) Also, to me, there's little difference between those 2 boards in the first place ???
- IIRC, there's a welcoming mail everyone receives from GZF (or a mail to confirm your registration). You can put the link to the thread above in this mail too. Or once the users have confirmed their account, redirect them to that thread.

RE Bandwidth: 
- I suggest deleting duplicates in stickies
- I suggest to clean up sticky threads: e.g. the gravitational lenses thread (and the supernovae thread) is flooded with posts from users who think they're seeing a grav lens but it's clear there's no grav lens. Even I, who consider myself far from an expert can see that. I do know new users are posting in those threads with good faith and I don't mean to bash on them, but on the other hand it clogs the threads and confuses other users who want to see how e.g. a grav lens looks like; they think it looks something like the pic posted by the other user and could give them an incentive to post something that's clearly not a grav lens also. Before deleting those posts, you can notify the users by posting in the thread (or perhaps mailing them) stating that a thread cleanup is planned. The pro: you decrease bandwidth load. The con: it takes time to clean up. I know this seems like a harsh measure, but I just wanted to throw it in for new perspectives. I can imagine this would make the GZF a less cosey place though :)
- Related to the suggestion above: edit all the first posts in all the sticky threads so they contain instructions for both new users and experts on how to recognize the subject mentioned (e.g. how to recognize a grav lens, a quasar, a supernova etc.) and to tell users to search the forum for their objectID first to see if it's been posted in THIS thread or somewhere else before and identifies their object. This minimizes the number of false positives and duplicates in the sticky threads. I really encourage this suggestion, cause I still don't know how to recognize a supernova or a quasar without having to search another thread that has a reply from someone on this. Also such a reply is not the same as a clear step-by-step instruction.

RE replying to new users:
Indeed, it may seem that some of us are a bit bored when we reply shortly saying "elliptical" or "it's been posted before".
I've been on several internet forums until now and often new users are indeed welcomed etc.
On the other hand, I got tired after a while having to start each post with "Hi and welcome to the xyz forum! :)" *. Not only that, I even lost the jolly mood that phrase suggests, cause I got so repetitive. It's not spontaneous anymore.
So instead, when I see a new user, I increase the number of words in my post which makes the message sound less rudely brief.
Another method I think is effective is the use of smilies. Compare the following phrases:
That's been posted before. It's an elliptical.
vs.
That's been posted before :) It's an elliptical.

Use more words when you're posting to new users and add a smily and everyone should be happy.
When the galaxy's been posted before, kindly notify them that they can use the search function to see if it's been posted and identified before and add a smily ;D

*) Occasionally, I do start with "Hi, and welcome :)"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:11:51 am by The Alien »

Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 08:01:53 am »
This is my second post and my first post was met with "Welcome..." which immediately made me feel accepted (even though now I know my question was typical newbie). Thanks for that  :). This is my second time here and I have some questions/comments (I hope I'm not being repetitious- the forums are HUGE!).

1. Are overall and personal statistics available? By this I mean the percentages of analyses in each category. We all want to "improve" as we go along and comparing my statistics with the group as a whole would be valuable feedback.

2. Is the date each image was gathered available? Just curious.

3. Is it just me or does everybody get a bunch of far-away faint fuzzy orangish blobs? There's so many of these they need their own button!

4. Each time I click it's like pulling the handle on a slot machine (except it's free!). Usually nothing exciting happens but once in a while - JACKPOT!! I'm not a gambler but somehow I think the addiction is similar.

5. One more important question - can you get paid for this? I'm sure I'm going to get fired!

Thanks for a great website.
Cheers

Grandmajenny

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 08:50:00 am »
 The welcome was there but I find posting to the forum difficult and a bit daunting as everyone seems to have so much knowledge! The "slang"? language is unfamilier to a septogenarian like me! I will probably just read and not post any more for a while!
Grandma Jenny

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 09:18:41 am »
The welcome was there but I find posting to the forum difficult and a bit daunting as everyone seems to have so much knowledge! The "slang"? language is unfamilier to a septogenarian like me! I will probably just read and not post any more for a while!
Grandma Jenny
noooooo! dont be afraid! The best way to learn is to post and ask questions. Not all of us started out with a lot of knowledge, i didnt know very much when 1st started, and now i know loads more, but still learning of course ;) sometimes the slang confuses me (it took me ages (and a question) to find out what IMHO (in my humble opinion) was! please keep posting! :)

waveney

• Irregular Galaxy Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 10:49:49 am »
Lets use this thread to properly introduce myself and how I came here and why I have stayed.

I am an independent Telecoms/Internet consultant age 50+.  Interested in lots of things technical and real.  I first took an interest in Astronomy when about 3, was a member of my schools astronomy club (we had a 4 inch refracting telescope), and then largely went on to other things when I found computers.

I have a BSc in Computer Science and Maths, spent 24 years in the telecoms industry and the last 5 years as an independent.

Around Xmas, with nothing to do and no work I was idly following links around Wikepedia when I found the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (Currently my backdrop on this computer) then the Zoo, came and was hooked.  Its much more fun than playing patience!

Richard (Waveney Consulting and Waveney Web Services)

Join the Irregular Classifiers
We all help at the cutting edge of ignorance.

TheWhistlerVibe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:01 pm »
Love GZ, love the forum, love the people, probably the first forum where there are no arguements or rude people to be found. But it all makes sense, there is no 2nd space(at least not that we know of) so there are no other fanboys saying "oh ur space sucks", we all love the same thing. Anyways got a nice wlecome and great help the first time I posted, made me feel good and welcome.  ;D

Keep up the good work!
"I don't know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones" - Albert E

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »
Love GZ, love the forum, love the people, probably the first forum where there are no arguements or rude people to be found. But it all makes sense, there is no 2nd space(at least not that we know of) so there are no other fanboys saying "oh ur space sucks", we all love the same thing. Anyways got a nice wlecome and great help the first time I posted, made me feel good and welcome.  ;D
Keep up the good work!

That's good to hear! Keep up the good work with us! ;) oh and that 'ur space sucks' really made me laugh.. :D

Kurson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:47 pm »
Great atmosphere, unique and very rare on other forums!
Best regards, Kurson

quarkspin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2008, 11:44:17 am »
Agree wholeheartedly with all of the above (for once)

what the newbies have to remember is that all of us 'oldbies' were newbies too not very long ago!

- except for moderaters who were born oldbies:)

ATB*

Q

short for all the best, not after the bang:)

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2008, 05:17:18 pm »
Thanks Q, this 'hero' was wondering what 'ATB' meant indeed! :)