Author Topic: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo?  (Read 53360 times)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo?
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2012, 10:00:02 am »
Welcome to the zoo Sylverone :)

I like the idea of a standard newbie letter! There are a few introductory threads at the top but I guess we rely on the "Please read starred threads before posting" message near the top of the forum. :)

(As for the tutorial I can't comment on that since I'm not involved in designing the site . . .)

Sylverone

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2012, 10:12:41 am »
Well then where would I properly post to suggest interface improvements (at least for the record so others who use the search function can maybe avoid my mistake).  ;)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:40 am »
Oh I'm not saying you posted in the wrong place! Just letting you know why I'm not answering that bit! :D

Sylverone

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2012, 11:43:42 am »
Ah, I see. Then hopefully someone with come along with the proper "credentials".  ;)

egalaxy

• OotD posters
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2012, 01:43:17 am »
not me, but if you wish to know why it says disturbed with that particular image, i would assume it talks about the AHZCs and AHZ7s....
go on, i dare you, enter www.galaxyzoo.org/examine/AHZ7....
and fill in numbers and letters in place of the ....
you will see what i mean

Sylverone

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2012, 07:55:02 am »
not me, but if you wish to know why it says disturbed with that particular image, i would assume it talks about the AHZCs and AHZ7s....
go on, i dare you, enter www.galaxyzoo.org/examine/AHZ7....
and fill in numbers and letters in place of the ....
you will see what i mean
I tried, but I didn't get any images. Brute-force attacks by hand aren't fun.  ;)

-=-=-
About Galaxy Zoo; another idea I've had is this: A new game mode which allows users to mark the positions (and sizes?) of objects that have been missed by the computerized object labeling. Moon Zoo gave me the idea.
Here's the breakdown in steps:

1. Show the user a random galaxy/star image. Mark the coordinate positions of all known objects in the image appear with icons (maybe dots or circles; I'll call them "points" for now). Also display a number representing the number of known objects in the image.
2. Ask the user if there are any misplaced or stranded points in the image. The user flags any completely stranded points, and adjusts any points that are "off", if any.
3. Ask the user if they can see any objects for which there is no label. If so, they are to place a point at its position (either at the center, or the brightest part of it - whatever helps researchers). Maybe also allow them to designate object type (galaxy, star, or unknown) via a menu like Moon Zoo uses for designating interesting objects.
4. The user could be asked to flag digital artifacts caused by nearby overexposed stars or cosmic rays, if any. This would help researchers clean up the bits that automatic clean-up didn't catch, and improve their clean-up algorithms.
5. User clicks "Done"

This would create a "corrected" object directory, which could be used to augment (maybe selectively) the existing directories.
Of course, since this idea is inspired by Moon Zoo, steps 2-4 could be all taken together and made into a flash (or whatever) interface allowing users to flag whatever they see.

Sylverone

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:24 am »
Also, I would like to add a suggestion that I made for the Moon Zoo interface, that is equally applicable here:

It would be really cool if the user could see a number representing how many users have previously seen the image s/he just characterize. It should be displayed in the "More Information" page for a site, to prevent bias (If someone knew their image had been categorized before, they might be tempted to check the forum and just copy what someone else did). I'm sure that metric is stored somewhere, right? I'm going to suggest this feature for Galaxy Zoo as well.

If a user is the first to characterize an image, it would be excellent if they got a little red text somewhere in the application window saying, "You are the first person to annotate this site!" or something equally exciting. This would be like a little "reward" that would pop up every now and then. Once again, same thing for Galaxy Zoo. I got the idea from Solar Stormwatch (I'm checking out all of the Zooniverse projects).

MariaK2

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:10 am »
Hi there.  I just spent 20 minutes marking the same 5 galaxies which repeated several times apiece.  This is the worst the repeats have been since I joined (three whole weeks).  Is this a new glitch that will hopefully be fixed soon?  Thanks!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2013, 02:36:54 pm »
Welcome to the zoo MarkiaK2! That sounds like a glitch to me. If it keeps happening, send a message to Arfon.

jagger13

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:36 am »
A friend told me about galaxyzoo so I‘m  here now  :o

fatha731

• OotD posters
  • If we must fight, let's fight for peace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2013, 06:49:38 am »
Welcome to the Forum! :)

TheMikester

• View Profile
Re: How are newbies finding Galaxy Zoo? Can I suggest...
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2014, 01:47:34 am »
Classifying galaxies is fascinating in part due to the extreme distances often involved, and the scale of thinking required to understand what might be going on.

I'd dearly love a 'back' function in the classification system so that I can correct mouse click errors which can distort my classifications beyond recognition!

I'd also appreciate a 'tutorial' showing how an expert classifies, with transparent reasoning. A printable decision tree would be helpful and would normalise classifications if well done.

Additional options in the 'anything odd' options would be useful, like colour, which might get more out of we clicking classifiers.

I'd also like to suggest that telling us that 'mistakes don't matter' is demotivating to some of us. We want to turn out quality work, whether we 'need' to or not. The idea that my classification might matter is important to me and I'd suggest something like..."our statistical error trapping system will iron out errors however the higher the quality of your work the better".

Anyway, great concept and overall well put together. Thanks for the opportunity
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:44:56 am by TheMikester »