Author Topic: We got observing time!  (Read 42641 times)

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
Re: We got observing time!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 10:09:39 am »
overlap ... overlap ... overlap

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 11:42:23 am »
This is exciting news and I'm having a great time looking through those PDFs and I'm learning a lot.  I'll be a better analyzer now. :)

I was noticing that your Avatar NGC3314, is the first picture of each of the four PDFs then the 2nd pictures and the rest I believe, are all different.  Is that because you like that first picture best?

Starry

Well, I am undoubtedly partial to that system (did anyone else know that there is a place on the Web that NGC 3314 T-shirts are a catalog order item?). But the reason for the identical first images is more prosaic. They were all originally part of one file, with that as a sort of cover page. Eventually a PDF from the single large Word document became so unwieldy that I had to split it into four sections, and to have somewhere to keep up with the version date and number of objects I kept that same cover page. As of yesterday's update, N=877. I've switched upkeep of the files to a Mac and Page format - the new PDFs may be larger.

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 01:51:40 pm »
I'd like one of those T-shirts, please . . .

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 02:43:10 pm »
I'd like one of those T-shirts, please . . .

Unbelievable as it still seems, they can be ordered here; note the many other image possibilities they offer here. One of these may have helped ZookeeperChris pick me out of a crowd at a get-together in Austin; I'll take one along to Kitt Peak to facilitate identification in case pictures get blogged. That or the one reading "Carpe Noctem".

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 03:53:08 pm »
Wow, wish I was there!!! I hope you have a chance to snap a photo of this, which I am glad is in your lists.
http://cas.sdss.org/dr5/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=587731511532060697
It's in 'the weirdest [OIII] objects' (posted by me- shucks!- amongst others) after Laihro's extensive search for
prolific emitters. Sort of ties in with the whole 'pea' thing, perhaps, maybe. This is the [OIII] object:
http://cas.sdss.org/dr5/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=587731511532060696
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:57:08 pm by Rick Nowell »

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 05:51:39 pm »
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap
overlap

Animation courtesy made by pluk.

Starrygyrl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 08:25:49 am »
Half-lol! ;D
Thanks so much for answering my questions everyone and I appreciate the explanation NGC3314.

So, are all of those pictures in the PDF overlapping and not merging? Because some of them look like they're merging to me and I thought it was helping me determine which of the pics I get to analyze in SDSS are merging.  How does one tell in SDSS if they're overlapping or merging? 

I would think that when the shape of the galaxy changes sporadically in the area of the other galaxy it would mean it is merging. 

I guess sometimes it's a star overlapping with the galaxies in the PDF pics too right?  And that qualifies it for the PDF?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:36:53 am by Starrygyrl »

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 11:50:31 am »
We try to avoid galaxies that are actually interacting. Mild interactions that don't disturb the galaxy structure in the overlapping region can be useful, if we can still get a good idea of what the two galaxies would look like by themselves in this overlap area. Some pairs show distortions in outer, faint regions that weren't obvious to me until I got a new, sharper monitor. This is one of the reasons I've been making a stricter selection for further observations (that and the fact that we'll only have time to observe about 6% of the list!). The ideal case has redshifts so different that we can rule out mergers, but galaxies in the same small group but millions of light-year apart can have indistinguishable redshifts so some of them are good as well.

The only times the superimposed object is a star that should be in the PDFs are cases when it looks convincing at first and I wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally grab it again - and they are labelled as stars.

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ready to head to the telescope - what and how
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
We are scheduled for the nights of April 25-29, using the 3.5-meter WIYN telescope at Kitt Peak, Arizona.

Any chance of a blog? The weather looks fair- do you need anyone to make the tea?

fluffyporcupine

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 12:26:12 pm »
do you need anyone to make the tea?
or anyone to help you drink it ;)

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 12:29:29 pm »
Yeah, we wouldn't take up THAT much room in your suitcases. The Zooites want to come too.

graham d

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 12:32:08 pm »
 :)it's tempting. I could bring my 4 season sleeping bag.

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 03:13:01 pm »
or anyone to help you drink it ;)

LOL Fluffy! :D

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 03:51:18 pm »

I hope we don't get into any arguments about this - my guess is that Chris would be much more discriminating about his tea than I, who am accustomed to drinking large quantities of an iced beverage which most British drinkers would be insulted to call by the same name. He does plan to blog, AFAIK. And Alice has (perhaps unwittingly) given me a wonderful idea for a team photo.

(Culinary note to Hanny and perhaps Pluk - we fried some oliebollen at home over the weekend. The kids must have found them acceptable, because they're all gone.)

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 03:54:08 pm »
(Culinary note to Hanny and perhaps Pluk - we fried some oliebollen at home over the weekend. The kids must have found them acceptable, because they're all gone.)

:D Good! You know, after you told me stroopwafels are typical Dutch (I never thought of that!) I brought some with me the last time I was in the UK, and well, that was a succes.. ;)