Author Topic: NEW! Galaxy Zoo science blog!  (Read 119569 times)

zookeeperJordan

• Admin
    • View Profile
NEW! Galaxy Zoo science blog!
« on: December 24, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »
Hi all!

We are excited to announce a new Galaxy Zoo science blog, where we will keep all of you updated on the exciting research we are conducting with the classifications you have given us. The address is:

http://www.galaxyzooblog.org/

Feel free to comment there, or here in the Forum.

Hope you enjoy it!

Halibut

• View Profile
Re: NEW! Galaxy Zoo science blog!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:24:17 am »
Oh now that is exciting ;D  What a brilliant Christmas present!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:00:37 pm »
Grrrr! Why can't I come along to those presentations!  >:(

zookeeperChris

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:54:04 pm »
New www.galaxyzooblog.org post up.

Chris

jules

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:40:52 pm »
New www.galaxyzooblog.org post up.

Chris
The comments facility on the blog site is closed so I'll leave a comment here!

Having a window onto the research as it happens is most welcome and much appreciated. I will be particularly interested to learn more about the strange blue ellipticals but I am glad to read that there will also be something about the IT behind the GZ website which, in my opinion, is very user friendly and has excellent layout and navigation.

Keep up the good work!  ;)

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 02:53:20 pm »
I notice a paper in the upcoming program of the American Astronomical Society meeting titled "Revisiting the Hubble Sequence: Visual Classification of 15000 galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey". ZookeeperChris, in your talk, please try to let them down gently...

(And more seriously, revisiting is something that GZ is doing at least implicitly. I've been interested to sit back and watch how members evolve ways to classify galaxies without the preconceptions of the last 80 years of Hubble's types, at least in detail. If this has meant occasionally sitting on my hands as to what "elliptical" means, that seems a small price.)

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 03:11:29 pm »
I notice a paper in the upcoming program of the American Astronomical Society meeting titled "Revisiting the Hubble Sequence: Visual Classification of 15000 galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey". ZookeeperChris, in your talk, please try to let them down gently...

;D

Half65

• "Eagle Nebula"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:09:24 pm »
Just a comment to say thanks and great job from a galazyzoo addicted.  ;D

zookeeperJordan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 02:11:40 am »
The comments facility on the blog site is closed so I'll leave a comment here!

Having a window onto the research as it happens is most welcome and much appreciated. I will be particularly interested to learn more about the strange blue ellipticals but I am glad to read that there will also be something about the IT behind the GZ website which, in my opinion, is very user friendly and has excellent layout and navigation.

Keep up the good work!  ;)

Oops, the comment option was turned off by mistake - it's fixed now. Thanks for pointing this out.

And thanks everyone for your comments here. Zookeeper Chris and I will both be at the AAS meeting; we'll be posting to the blog from there.

mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 05:50:49 pm »
Ooopsy i think in my early days of classifying i was making the particular blunder mentioned in the blog, classifying faint fuzzy things as ellipticals..  :'(

'It's a teddy bear mushroom, put your glasses on!'

zookeeperJordan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:28:19 pm »
New blog post up!

This one is about the "bias study" that Chris talked about on Thursday - exactly what we mean by "bias," and why it is so important.

http://www.galaxyzooblog.org/

Enjoy!

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 08:35:32 pm »
That's description of bias and sampling and the scientific method is so good, I might just use it to help me with my science teaching if I may! (And no, I'm not saying that's all there is in that post, in case anyone reads what I've written and thinks, "Oh, that sounds boring", because it REALLY isn't - it's terrific.) Thanks Jordan!

mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

I think it's really nice and worthwhile of you guys and gals to take the time to explain what you do with the data (talk of hand coding in fortran makes me think your time must be precious!).

Dang this world needs more scientific thinkers.

And more research funding - i hope you have access to state-of-the-art data analysis packages (i just can't get that fortran thing out of my head, you're astronomers, you should be astronomizing!).

:)

zookeeperJordan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 02:18:26 pm »
As some of you have seen already, we have a special New Year's Day post from Anze celebrating a big milestone for us - he has completed processing our initial dataset, which we'll be using for our first round of papers. Head over to the blog and see what he has done (and yes, mushroom, he used FORTRAN!):

www.galaxyzooblog.org

Our New Year's Resolution is to analyse the data and get some science done!

NGC3314

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

(i just can't get that fortran thing out of my head, you're astronomers, you should be astronomizing!).

:)

Well, yeah, a lot of astronomers over 40 learned FORTRAN so early that it flows without thinking. For sheer number-crunching, it's almost always faster to write and a lot less wordy than c, and I have yet to find a math package that gives me the flexibility to do exactly what I want that a complete programming language does. (IDL comes close but is very expensive, and its Gnu free equivalent doesn't do the graphics prettily enough to publish). These days, sitting at a workstation kneading the data usually is astronomizing. Pardon, my SGI and Linux machines are calling...