Author Topic: NEW! Galaxy Zoo science blog!  (Read 115436 times)

quarkspin

• View Profile
Re: NEW! Galaxy Zoo science blog!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 12:46:44 am »
I tend to agree with Kate on this one, unless presumably there is some totally standardised authoritative opinion on what is 'right' and what is 'wrong.'

Then if you geve feedback all that would hapen is that you would be training the 'analysers' to follow a given pattern.

So?

Q
(and I didn't mean SO:)

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 05:05:28 pm »
If you haven't read it yet, skoot on over to the blog and read some bias results and other interesting tidbits.

Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 05:57:15 pm »
On the blog, the team have released their results, in which they show that there is a bias and not an excess.
A figure of around 6% is given that a person is more likely to classify ACW rather than CW, which rules out
the excess of ACWs over CWs.

Does this mean that Galaxy Zoo has really been about pattern recognition and not cosmology, and that
Galaxy Zoo v2 will be about that as much as anything else, or is there some Astronomical science still
of value to be found. Are we part of a psychology experiment rather than a cosmological experiment?

Personally i prefer any Astronomical findings, although at the moment this seems to be mainly about blue
ellipticals.

Anyway, congratulations about getting out your results........

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:25:53 pm by Rick Nowell »

zookeeperChris

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 06:36:05 pm »
Does this mean that Galaxy Zoo has really been about pattern recognition and not cosmology, and that
Galaxy Zoo v2 will be about that as much as anything else, or is there some Astronomical science still
of value to be found. Are we part of a psychology experiment rather than a cosmological experiment?

Absolutely not! Firstly we have a large number of other science results; the first wave includes the blue ellipticals and Steven's study of where different types of galaxy live (more on which soon). We also have the observing time to look at the overlapping galaxies, and another exciting result which we'll be announcing on the blog later. I would be very surprised if we didn't publish ten Galaxy Zoo papers this year (that's a lot). Secondly, this is a scientific result! We were inspired to look at the rotation direction by this paper , and we can now rule out any such feature in the Universe. Null results aren't as exciting as positive ones, but they matter a huge amount. Zoo 2 will have plenty more science behind it, so don't worry - you're still doing astronomy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:40:28 pm by zookeeperChris »

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:21 pm »
And the fact that we've found lots of rings, which were thought to be rare. And possibly 3-armed galaxies being a similar case. And Hanny's Voorwerp.  ;D

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008, 06:58:56 pm »
Yes, i was forgetting that this is Science and not just Astronomy- whatever personal preferences i may have.
As Zookeeper Chris says, null results aren't the most exciting but if they prove something, then that is
significant. Well done for finding out about the 6% bias- i guess that will be useful in further experiments.
I look forward to the Astronomy papers! 10 papers in a year in serious Science- so that should rightly
be congratulated!

zookeeper_Kate

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 12:49:53 pm »
Does this mean that Galaxy Zoo has really been about pattern recognition and not cosmology, e
No! Firstly - we still have lots of other cosmology (this strange excess thing was never part of our original cosmology motivation, see here for example). We can still look for an 'axis' about which galaxies rotate, as well as examine structure formation theories by looking at neighbour-neighbour correlations (as mentioned here).

Secondly - the cosmology side of GZ was an after thought anyway, it is really the morphology classifications (rather than rotation) that this project set out to do (ie. siral Vs elliptical), and that is all still completely on track!! Indeed - with your help we have been able to classify the morphology of a million galaxies! And these results haven't been written about too much on the blog yet...

Think of this 'anti-clockwise excess' as a rather bizarre temporary diversion from the original project... which is doing both astronomy and cosmology for sure!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:55:29 pm by zookeeper_Kate »

Rick Nowell

• Bristol, U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 02:00:16 pm »
Absolutely not! Firstly we have a large number of other science results; the first wave includes the blue ellipticals and Steven's study of where different types of galaxy live (more on which soon).

No! Firstly - we still have lots of other cosmology (this strange excess thing was never part of our original cosmology motivation, see here for example). We can still look for an 'axis' about which galaxies rotate, as well as examine structure formation theories by looking at neighbour-neighbour correlations (as mentioned

Thankyou for your replies. My original posting was my initial rection to the pattern recognition bias you had found, but as Kate
mentions, this was a diversion away from your main tasks, about which findings are not yet available. This makes it very more
clear to me, so cheers.

quarkspin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 09:37:48 am »
Does this mean that Galaxy Zoo has really been about pattern recognition and not cosmology, e
No! Firstly - we still have lots of other cosmology (this strange excess thing was never part of our original cosmology motivation, see here for example). We can still look for an 'axis' about which galaxies rotate, as well as examine structure formation theories by looking at neighbour-neighbour correlations (as mentioned here).

Secondly - the cosmology side of GZ was an after thought anyway, it is really the morphology classifications (rather than rotation) that this project set out to do (ie. siral Vs elliptical), and that is all still completely on track!! Indeed - with your help we have been able to classify the morphology of a million galaxies! And these results haven't been written about too much on the blog yet...

Think of this 'anti-clockwise excess' as a rather bizarre temporary diversion from the original project... which is doing both astronomy and cosmology for sure!

Great thanks to all. I have read more science this morning than since the project started! Perusing the various blogs etc is not what I usually do but finding papers is great - I hasten to add that I am always behind with my own reading:)
Is there a specific area on the site where publications, papers or submissions are actually listed??
ATB
Q

mushroom

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 02:10:42 pm »
I wish some people in other professions were as careful as the Zookeepers, I don't always want to listen to people reporting their own beliefs as fact!  ::)

garrett_cw

• In this picture I'm the Grandfather.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 06:32:24 pm »
I wish some people in other professions were as careful as the Zookeepers, I don't always want to listen to people reporting their own beliefs as fact!  ::)

CAN I HAVE AN AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D
Curtis
"To get along in life you must be very clever or very nice. I've been clever. I recomend nice."

zookeeperKevin

• Galaxy Zoo Keeper
  • Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »

We're just regular scientists....

Hanny

• Global Moderator
  • "Voorwerp kid"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 08:25:29 pm »
Yeah, ‘just’ regular scientists, who are very modest and with this cool project 8) ;D

zookeeper_Kate

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 04:47:16 pm »
Is there a specific area on the site where publications, papers or submissions are actually listed??
ATB
Q
Well - the papers aren't written yet! But as soon as they are then we will let you know (end of Jan we hope). Indeed generally astronomy papers get put online and the 'pre-print' server here:
http://xxx.soton.ac.uk/

But we will be sure to link them into the site, forum, and blog. We are hoping that after having written the official versions we can also write second slightly less technical versions for non-scientists - that will still cover all the results but with more accessible language!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!
Kate

Alice

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 04:49:04 pm »
 ;D I wish all journals would do that!